Shave Soap Sticks

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by terstation, Aug 11, 2019.

1. terstation

terstation Active Member

I have gotten to the point I prefer shaving soap sticks and face lathering. I have Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, Arko, Derby and La Toja. I think they all perform very well and could be happy using just these.

My question is does anyone make a mentholated stick, because I really love that menthol tingle.

I have also been keeping my eyes open for any vintage shaving sticks to pop up, but that is getting harder and harder to find. When I first started wet shaving years ago I had a vintage Colgate stick, but that has been long gone. Now all I have is a lot of old empty vintage tins, which are still pretty amazing.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

2. terstation

terstation Active Member

So I think I may have found my answer. I was on Stirling Soaps site looking for a glacial soap and came across Frost Drops. These weren't there on my last visit. I am going to order it and just add a few drops directly to the brush as I face lather. I will let everyone know how that works out. It might be the perfect fit for a menth lover.

BamaT, MR41, Yehuda D and 4 others like this.
  3. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

You can always grate a mentholated soap into a twist-up stick

Also, not mentholated but if you haven't tried them yet Speick and Tabac are my favourite shave sticks

Yehuda D, terstation and brit like this.
  4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Refill your vintage soap stick tins with artisan soaps. All you have to do is grate them and pack them in the tube.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  5. terstation

terstation Active Member

Most of the old tins were just holders, so packing it in and you would never get it out. I already keep my Derby, Arko, Wilkie and Palmolive in old tin or Bakelite containers, but thanks for the idea.

Yehuda D, brit and Terry like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Line the tin with plastic wrap. Pack the soap in. After it sets up use the plastic to work it out of the tin. Take plastic off and you have a stick the size of the holder.

7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Let us know how those frost drops work out.

I've only used 1 brand and that was Arko stick so far. But I'm really liking using shave sticks and will definitely be trying more brands in the future.

Yehuda D, terstation and brit like this.
  8. terstation

terstation Active Member

That makes sense, might have to do that one day. Since there are plenty of great sticks already available it might be awhile. Plus I don't dislike loading up from a puck, so I will probably never get around to that anytime soon.

I will just use that time and effort to snag some vintage Colgate or Williams up and try those out. The bakelite and tin holders look sweet on my rack and in my den empty or full.

I have four teenagers in the house and there never seems to be enough time.

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. terstation

terstation Active Member

I will definitely get a report out on the frost drops. And if you enjoy the menthol tingle I highly recommend a splash of Osage Rub after a shave. It will wake you right up in the morning.

I think you will enjoy sticks very much. I really like La Toja for performance and face feel after a shave. And Palmolive is a great performer for me as well and I really enjoy the scent.

Yehuda D likes this.
  10. Campion

Campion Active Member

I just tore into a new Palmolive stick this morning. A terrific soap. I love the traditional Palmolive soap scent. And the performance is always top notch. I've tried most of the sticks on the market, and you can't beat Palmolive and Wilkinson for value. That said, the LaToja, Speick, and DR Harris sticks are a bit more money but they are all great soaps. No product leaves my skin feeling as good as do Speick products. Great subtle clean masculine scent as well. I keep a DR Harris Marlborough stick in my travel kit because it comes in a hard tube. Arko is probably the only stick I could take or leave. I find it drying. Sticks are fun, and they always give me a close shave.

11. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Mystic Water makes great shave sticks, I wonder if Michelle might be able to add menthol to any of them? Off the top of my head I'm not sure if she does any mentholated shave products...

Primotenore and terstation like this.
  12. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a menthol fan.

I put menthol crystals in my Dickenson's witch hazel and have a bottle of Osage Rub in the den. Used them both today after I shaved with Arko stick.

The other sticks I have waiting on deck are:

Derby
    Speick
    Palmolive

terstation and brit like this.
  13. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If you get a hold of the Williams Top Holder bakelite containers, the lids will thread onto the Arko and Derby sticks perfectly. Although the sticks are to long, with use they will dwindle down to fit.

terstation and brit like this.
  14. terstation

terstation Active Member

Sounds like I need to go check those out. Thanks for the tip.

15. terstation

terstation Active Member

Speick keeps coming up, so it needs to be next up for purchase.

Ksblazer and brit like this.
  16. terstation

terstation Active Member

I will have to look into that. The Colgate Handy Grip containers are threaded for soap, so I may have to try and fit something in one of those.

17. Weasel640

Also did you see that Razorock has four new Shave Sticks out? There is a discount code that is supposed to be good until noon Sunday: 25%NEWPRODUCTS

I've already asked if any are mentholated and the answer was no...

18. terstation

terstation Active Member

Not that I needed more shave sticks, but I picked up all four along with another tube of Derby and Arko menthol creams. Thanks for the heads up.

Ksblazer likes this.
  19. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Please report back on the performance and scents... I was trying to guess what the Green ("woody aromatic") and Black ("barbershop fougere") are based on and couldn't come up with anything

people on that other site have theorized they are made by the same manufacturer as the What The Puck soaps

edit: black is reportedly the same as Razorock American Barber and therefore based on YSL Rive Gauche. Still haven't heard anything about the green.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Frijolero likes this.
  20. Weasel640

Let me know when you get them what the size of these are. I decided not to get them yet as I'm not sure if they will fit in my tins. The person that answers there email was away from there shop so could not answer that. They essentially need to be no wider than an Arko stick to fit the traditional tins. (This does not count Gillette tins, those a way more narrow).

I Think many of us fall into that same category of "do not need more": Shaving Sticks, Soaps, Aftershave, Blades, etc., etc... But many of us still like to get new or try old stuff...

If I had to guess what "woody aromatic" I would guess it was based on the Aramis line of Colognes and Aftershaves. For the "barbershop fougere" it points toward Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

As far as these soaps being the same company? This is fact! There is absolutely no doubt, no "theorizing" needed. It says right there, up front in the description of both of these "RazoRock". In fact here is the title of the Black label: "RazoRock "What the Puck?!" Shaving Soap - Black Label". I have no idea why there would be any confusion that would require anyone to have "theorized" this.