Shave Stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by maliboy67, Feb 7, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

I had another great shave this morning with my new 39c and a Feather blade. But the star today was this shave stick I made with an old deodorant container and half a tub of TSD lanolin shave soap.
    [​IMG]

2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

@Jayaruh has done similar but with Conk. I thought about this but I think it would be a hindrance while applying it to my head.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

Just don't care for shave sticks myself. I've taken Speick, Irisch Moos and Arko sticks (all great soaps) and grated them into a bowl. Just my shave enjoyed my way.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. maliboy67

Well I decided to try it. I'm not sure I like the stick. The nice thing is the soap is soft enough to push back into the original container.

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

If the soap is like a cream and very loose, it may not be a good candidate for the stick.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My Col. Conk Amber works great in this deodorant push up container. Now, I'm thinking that I may put some ARKO in one.
    You just rub in on your wet face and then start lathering with your wet brush. Works great.
    1col_conk_amber2.jpg

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Just don't confuse it with the Deodorant / Antiperspirant if the room is dark or people will wonder why lather is continuously released from your shirt.

Randy (CyanideMetal) has a point though that the soap needs to be able to bind somewhat to be successful.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  8. maliboy67

That is a funny image! Yes if the soap is too soft it will not work well. I read the sticky about making shave sticks and thought I would give it a try.

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  9. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Shave-sticks rule! Easiest way to make sure you always get enough soap! :happy088:

CyanideMetal and 45auto like this.
  10. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I really like shave sticks they are you easy and convenient to use they take up very little space.

CyanideMetal and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny, I was just sitting and checking out some shaving soap sticks as I've found that I rather like using them.

My quick and very dirty "research";
    Palmolive Euro version Tallow 3.99
    Erasmic Tallow 4
    Wilkinson sword Tallow 5.24
    La Toja Non tallow 8.48
    Speick Tallow 8.75
    Valobra Tallow 13.44
    Dr Harris Arlington Tallow 14.95
    Dr Harris Sandalwood Tallow 17.9
    Tabac Tallow 17.99

I'm sort of leaning towards Speick as I've never tried it and I'm really curious what the scent is like.... (BTW - seems like Smallflower has by far the lowest price on Speick shaving soap stick at $5.50).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  12. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Of the ones you have listed, I have Palmolive, Speick, Erasmic and Tabac.

First off, if you don't have Tabac, you need to get some. It is a great soap. Otherwise, I would recommend Palmolive over Speick. I like the scent much better, and it seems like it may be going away. I liked Speick and I hated Erasmic as I couldn't make a decent lather with it.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

He used TSD lanolin. I have several pucks of JoAnna's wonderful lanolin soaps. While not as hard as her other soap, it is far from being a soft soap.

14. maliboy67

TSD lanolin soap was soft enough to cut up with a spoon and push together with my fingers into the container. It seems to be stiff enough to work. I only face lather so the stick seems like a good way to go. I have noticed an improvement in my skin since I started using the brush and soap on my face. When I have my current soaps used up I want to try Mitchell's wool fat soap. I believe the best way to prepare it for stick form is grating, I will do that when my wife isn't around

15. maliboy67

Although if TSD lanolin soap keeps working so well I might just order more of it!

16. maliboy67

So far I'm really liking the shave stick. I like Ogallala splash and see they have a shave stick also. I'm going to have to try one.