Shave Sticks . . .

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ThePossum, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Would like to get a shave stick for travel purposes. Don't like to carry a bowl or large soap container.

When you guys who use sticks for travel pack what do you take with you to hold the brush between passes and keep it warm?

What kind of shave sticks do you use? I would prefer on that has some kind of tube similar to a deodorant stick holder for the soap stick. Also would like a tallow based soap stick.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I always use a Tabac shaving stick when travelling. It has a sturdy container and is an easy lathering soap. I believe it's tallow based, but am not sure :ashamed001

3. Moe

Moe Active Member

I have both Tabac and Irish Moos sticks (both Tallow), and as stated above, both are in sturdy plastic containers with screw on lids. The lid for the Moos however did crack, i've put some epoxy on it, but have not traveled with it yet since the fix.

I have an old Erasmic stick (also Tallow, have heard that the new version is not), but have not traveled with it yet. It looks like it would fit nicely into a larger pill bottle for traveling.

As for keeping the brush warm, unfortunately I do nothing; my lather is to room temp by end of my second pass...... but i've learned to live with it...... for now.

-Moe

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm a Speick fan myself. That or I'll bring a small tin filled with either a meltable or smashable soap in it.
    If you're in a hotel, use the coffee cup in the room to hold your brush. Using the coffee maker for hot water is another nice travel tip.

6. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

When I travel, I take a quarter of a shave stick (like a Palmolive or Wilkinson) use it for the week or two I'm away and discard it so I don't have to cart the dregs home.

7. medler

medler Member

I use Arko or LaToya (a colleague bought it in Barcelona for me).
    Since a few weeks Calani offers my favorite Iberische Sonne as a stick

8. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

I tryed this stick the other night, the dragon didn't fancy it though. Joking aside I had a fantastic shave with it. Good lather and tallow based. You could try this also....
    The stick was like 75 cents the cream about 2 Dollars. Enjoy !

Attached Files:

9. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

If the stick Im going to take on my travels does not have its over holder - like Tabac or La Toja. I put the stick in an pill container. I also use pill containers for my brushes when travelling.

Mug is the way to go for warmth.....

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Thanks guys for your input. I think I am going to go with the Tabac stick. I love and use the soap now so why not go with something that I really like.

11. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I like the DR Harris shave stick. I purchased a travel container from emsplace.com for my brush.

Jordan

12. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Last time I traveled I took a small tube of CO Bigelow, face lathered and used one of the hotel glasses in a sink full of hot water to keep my brush warm.

13. Reepicheep

Reepicheep New Member

Another possibility

Along the line of shaving sticks, I too was looking for something to work with for travel, and came along someone else's idea for a "stick". They mentioned melting a soap (don't remember which one) and pouring it into an old (but cleaned out, obviously) deodorant twisty tube/stick. I gave it a try with a VDH puck (haven't splurged beyond that yet...) and it worked pretty well. If you use the small/tiny deodorants (sample size) you can fill several with just one puck. Total cost less than $5 for 2-3 shaving sticks with lid and everything :)

I also always use a little jar/pot of shaving cream to either shave with, or super lather...I get the pot/jar for free from any of the makeup/cosmetic counters at the mall, and just spoon in my fave cream. it is only .5 ounces, so no probs with space or getting past airport security.

14. Batmang

Batmang New Member

Arko...for slightly more than two bucks you can't go wrong.

15. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

Valobra stick is delightful. From what I know from this forum, Valobra makes the shaving soaps of AoS. I tried it a couple of times and it was fantastic ;)
    Speick is right in the top as well for me. And has the best scent IMO

16. kjparker

kjparker Member

This was my solution:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I melted a sample size puck of Suzie's Bubbles Bay rum soap (from my Dec newbie giveaway win) into a film cannister which I had cut a hole in the bottom and put a coin into to allow me to push the soap up.

An Australian 20c piece is the perfect size for this!

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very neat idea there KJ!

18. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

19. kjparker

kjparker Member

I cant claim orignal credit for it, aparently it's an old army trick for the palmolive shave sticks, but I made it mine by adding melt and pour! :)