Shavemac D01

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Infotech, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Can anyone comment on the Shavemac D01 badger knot? How does it compare to say a Saville Row 3xxx, or a Rooney Super?

For a few dollars more you can get a Rooney Heritage which from what I've read is a nice upgrarde from standard silvertip and Rooney's own Super. Can the same be said of D01? I haven't read many comments to confirm this and there aren't many reviews out there.

Where does it, or where is it supposed to fit in?

2. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

I got a Shavemac D1 extra dense and a Rooney Heritage 1/1 the Rooney is more dense and between that and the size being a 1/1 mine is best suited primarily for soaps and face lathering thats not to say it can't do creams or bowl lathering just that it is just amazing as a face lathering brush with soaps. I don't know for sure but I have read Saville Row may be made by Shavemac :confused:
    The D1 I got is a better all around brush it handles everything very good soaps/creams, bowl or face lathering, it is dense but not too dense soft but not too soft to me if I could have just 1 brush that would most likely be it. But I got a few other brushes some softer and some scratchier that like the Rooney do 1 thing really well so I rotate them all.
    Both are great brushes it just all depends what you are looking for in a brush.

3. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I got Bernd to make me a D01 brush in Padron's 2007 custom handle design, and it's a beautiful, dense soap brush. Works great with creams too, but I prefer the ultra-soft luxurious feel of my SR 3124 for creams. The D01 hair is somewhat unique, in that it's a bit stiffer of a bristle than normal, which for me means it makes short work of lathering up even the hardest soaps.

I've not tried any of the Heritage series brushes yet, so I don't have a basis of comparison for those two. Sorry.

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for all of the input.

5. krisbarger

krisbarger New Member

Infotech,

I see you are from Houston... I was wondering if you had any good places to pick up wet-shaving gear? I am in town don't live here but will be here for a little while. Thanks

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

The British Isles in the Rice Village is the best store around here for shave gear. They have it all - Trumper's, Taylor's, Truefitt, DR Harris, Mitchell's Wool Fat (sometimes), and even some brushes. Although the brushes are priced pretty high the creams and soaps are actually pretty competitive.

http://www.britishislesonline.com/cms_home/

The Galleria mall has a few stores like Nordstroms, Crabtree & Evelyn, and La Octaine which carry goods but the British Isles is the best..

7. krisbarger

krisbarger New Member

I can't wait I may go today!!! Oh my gosh that looks amazing!!! My wife is just laughing right now!!!