Shaves - 50¢

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by LifesShort, Dec 31, 2013.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I was watching an old episode of the "Andy Griffith Show" this morning. The guys were in Floyd's Barbershop when I noticed a sign with prices in the background. I sure do wish I could get a barber shave for 50¢.

[​IMG]

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Those were the days!!!!

GDCarrington and LifesShort like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Inflation really hit the barbershops! The show ran from 1960-1968.
    $.50 back in 1962 (my birth year) is just shy of $4 today (and I tried three different inflation calculators).

GDCarrington and LifesShort like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What's a Butch?

Tsalagi44 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As Steve did above, I took into consideration inflation, 50¢ in 1960 is equivalent to $3.90 in today's dollars. Good luck finding a barber shave today for under $4. :)

Now today's $55 barber shave (avg) back in 1960 would be equivalently priced at $7.00—so yeah, a 50¢ shave is a pretty sweet deal.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Short all the way 'round - think Military Basic Training.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Irrelevant to the topic at hand, but Goober was one of my favorite characters on that show.

8. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

They look kinda like truckers but are "cut" different.

GDCarrington likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Also, you're dealing there with Southern pricing... typically the dollar goes farther down South.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Absolutely, born and raised in the south but buisness has taken me everywhere, including the great white north. I dont know why but in Indiana they take state tax, county tax and if you live in a different county than you work, you pay both county taxes.
    In Florida (where I live) no state or county tax ONLY federal. Food is cheaper and housing is MUCH cheaper for comperable accomodations. More violent crime but the weather is incredible.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It is a trade off, for sure. Armed robbery, grand theft auto, or physical assault is kind of a bummer, but,.. "ya' just can't complain about that great weather we're havin'!";)

12. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I complain about it constantly!:angry019::)

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

And the NO LOCAL GOV. IN YOUR POCKET helps too.
    I raised 6 children , in Indiana it cost me just short of $700.00 to put the kids in "freenpublic school" per year.
    Here at home, $0.00 per year, Also according to the national public education ratingl florida is SEVERAL spots above In.
    Nothing against other states (northern) I just hate snow,frozen ice and gov. tyranny. The people in In. were awesome, quality folks. I just couldnt get used to being locked in my house for 8 months (winter, freaking COLD)

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Made several fine friendships while there, like I said, the people I met there were great

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And that's just the retirees! (with the blinker on in the left lane)

16. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

We're allowed to spank our kids too so children here tend to be more respectable and still have manners.
    Sorry, Im rambling. Not the right thread.

GDCarrington and Bristle Me like this.
  17. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

As my Louisiana friend once told me,
    "Life in the South is much simpler than in the North.
    When y'all up in Missouri have trouble, y'all pick up the phone and call the authorities for help. Usually the police or the sheriff.
    In the South when they's trouble, we don't need help.
    We just call the coroner..."

dscaver, 178-bplatoon, Sontag and 2 others like this.
  18. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

No kidding, I have never seen the police called so often for such insignificant squabbles.
    I would take a Miami beat down before I called the police to defend me.
    Southern pride and all.
    An assault charge at home (I hear) is a small fine.
    Where I just left it's $2000.00 , 30 days in jail, restitution and counceling.
    When people know you cant afford to put lumps on their heads, they get brave and mouthy.
    We keep our mouths shut unless we want some.
    Like the saying goes, dont start no crap, wont be no crap.

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Guys,please refrain from political comments .. It's a politics free forum, remember?

Back on topic : a proper shave over here costs from 30 euros and upwards (that would be about. $ 45 on your side of the pond). If I recall correctly I saw a price of £ 70 for a shave in London, bit that was a luxury shave with the whole shabang including facial massaging, etc. So $ 0.50 seems areal deal to me!

Where was that barber again? :-D

JBSharp and GDCarrington like this.
  20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Meant no offense, just stating how things are different. Not political, just differences. My career has taken me all over the world and I have made incredibly strong friendships everywhere. The last thing I intended was to offend. Please pardon.

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.