Shavette Safety Covers

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Sara-s, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I am new to shavettes. Liking the Kamisori style, but I have a safety concern. When you are not using it, the blade is uncovered (unlike a folded, hinged shavette.) I don’t like using the hinged style, so that is not an option.
    So here is my question;
    When you are not using your Kamisori shavette, do you use a purchased or home-made blade cover? If not, how do you store it safely, when not in use?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Feather covers can be modified to fit CJB razors which are based on Kai. Would think it could be modified for Kai as well.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Maybe something like these?
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/581588613/kamisori-safety-cover

https://maggardrazors.com/products/feather-protective-cover-for-artist-club-ss-kamisori-style

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

How would you modify the Feather cover @PLANofMAN ?

@IAmTheJody the Etsy cover would probably work for a lot of Kamisori shavettes.

Thanks to you both for the info.

PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

You may also be able to talk one of our resident 3D design and print gurus into making something for you... @twhite @SlimGem .

PLANofMAN and Sara-s like this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

When I travel with my AC DX (usually the razor I take, or a Blackland Vector), I take the blade out. If it’s less than 5 shaves on the blade, it goes back in the blade holder on top. If more than 5, blade gets binned.

At home, in between shaves, I have a Harbor Freight wooden tool chest that houses the shaving collection. Top area and top drawers are all traditional scaled razors, second level smaller drawers for kamisoris.

I have a somewhat modest collection, so the other drawers house a few watches and pocket knives, bottom drawers the DE and SE implements.

Stock Image.

7F358009-6EE3-42D7-BB87-52E207129413.jpeg

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@b1hart you must have quite the collection. For me, it will amount to 2 or 3. I am most concerned with keeping them safe in the bathroom.

b1hart likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The post I read said it required a bit of trimming around the opening where the handle goes.

Edit: another post just recommended flipping the blade over so the sharp edge is inside the razor.

9. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

My little collection? It's modest compared to many here....there's a LOT of room left in that tool box, which is why I added the watches and pocket knives! :ashamed001:

Not sure how this would fit/work (flipping sharp edge inside razor) on other razors, but not an option on the Feather AC DX. The sharp edge would be up against the back of blade stop that keeps the blade exposure constant.

45E0546C-4D22-4425-944F-8570E52EA8F4.jpeg

ischiapp and Edison Carter like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What tool would you use to trim it?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'm wondering if a toothbrush accessory would work for storage.
    Either the kind that just covers the head or the ones that hold the entire brush.
    Usually they have vent holes for moisture and come in a variety of types/sizes.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Here’s what I have so far;
    5D44FF03-E974-4536-BA2C-1106C9826A20.jpeg
    The Kai came with the leather case. I have already put this razor away with a blade & it was quite safe. For the Feather, I bought the safety cover that is made for it. The CJB got the toothbrush holder. Cost about 2 bucks, has ample room and if I put the razor in, head-down, it is also nice & safe.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

My, my, my…..
    amassing quite a collection there
    Have fun.
    :)

Sara-s likes this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hi @Sara-s - the Japanese made cases for both kamisori and western razors.Maybe one would work for you?

This is not mine, it’s from an eBay listing, search on ‘kamisori razor case’.

31DFA35F-D18B-4579-9004-837CAB824018.jpeg

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Steve56 That is a nice case. I don't have a good place for it in my bathroom, so I am better off with he individual cases/covers I am currently using

Steve56 likes this.