Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by red436, Jun 6, 2012.

1. red436

red436 Member

I might be posting in the wrong area and mods feel free to move this post but shouldn't we have a
    catagory for shavette's?

2. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I posted my shavette questions in the straight razor sub. Also if you search around your bound to find some threads, including mine :).

Did you have any specific questions?

3. red436

red436 Member

Yes, are there any other shavette's besides the Parker's and the Dovo's? Do you have any suggestions for one? Do you have a link for your thread?
    Cheers Red

4. thinklikeh20

thinklikeh20 Active Member

I'm on a mobile at the moment so ill post links in the morning.

Yes, there are different types of shavette's. Low to high prices, different blades /loading systems, some are folding, others are Japanese style.

I used my Parker shavette to ease my self into using straight razors, but turns out they are a bit different. Some use them regularly as well. Where it goes from there is up to you.

My sketchy noob honed straights are funner to shave with, but with a shavette you can have surgical precision sharp every time. That added sharpness gives you a closer shave, but for me is more dangerous. No warning signs, u know?:confused:

5. red436

red436 Member

Many thanks for the links. Honing is a weakness of mine which is why I am looking into shavette's. I can't even hone my pocket knife. About the warning signs I can see where it might go wrong. Thanks for your help, Red

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I tried an old Weck Hair Shaper with the Personna long SE blades and the Parker SR1. Definitely sharp, definitely dangerous. Lots of blood. Even after watching many videos over and over, I couldn't get the hang of it, yet I am about to buy a Feather-like nonfolding straight razor. A friend loaned me a Torrey straight and indeed it was more forgiving and I got no nicks. Geofatboy says it takes 100 shaves to get the knack of shaving with a straight. I think it must take even more time to get the knack of a shavette. I ended up finishing up with a DE or SE every time.

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Honing is a skill that takes time to learn. I've buggered up quite a few edges before getting ones I would consider shave ready. If you get a couple of straights honed by a professional (Factory shave ready is not honed by a pro, BTW) you can maintain the blade for a number of months or more by just using a strop. There's always the barber hones, or 8k-12k stones that you can use to just refresh a blade, and is considerably easier than going from bevel set onwards.

If they're done by a pro, you shouldn't really need to reset a bevel for a couple of years with just regular maintenance unless you drop it, or decide to start practicing honing with them. ANYWAY enough of my rant, the Straight Razor forum is usually where it goes and shavettes have their place, like any other shaving tool. Enjoy using whatever you like, it is after all your preferences that matter, no one elses!

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  9. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

And here I thought it was about girl shavers. :)

PLANofMAN and lindyhopper66 like this.
  10. red436

red436 Member

Good luck with that. Thanks for pointing out the differences you experianced.
    Cheers, Red

11. red436

red436 Member

That's good now for the next week I'm going to be calling my GF a shavette. Red

12. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I have only hand great results with my parker SR1 and I had never used a straight before never seen blood (with the sr1) have achived BBS shaves atm it is reserved as one of my long growth razors but when injector week is over I plan to give it a few weeks go. For the price vs quality its hard to top even in a higher price bracket I'm told. Short of going for the feather at least. Several mebers here swayed me away from the dovo witch is in the same price range and I am glad they did!

13. lindyhopper66

I saw Geofatboy on Shavenation get great results first shave. I would love to be able to learn the technique. Open to advice, awake2shave,because yes the Feather is expensive for a blade handle.

14. awake2shave

I wish I had some tramsferable knowlage to send you lindy. I have been able to pick up any any razor so far and get a DFS- first shave .I am a chef I handel knives daily and am used to needing a presise (sp) angle to get the job at hand finished. I attrbute that to my abilty to use the SR1 right out of the box. That being said I tend to use the SR1 as I stated previously for long growth (after a weekend of not shaving or dewiskering my goatee every 2 weeks). suggestions are try (if possible) to use it on longer growth until you get the hang of it. I am still prone to micro weepers and weepers If I use it on just 1 days growth, and to not skimp on the preshave when using it pre oil is a must in my books with a straight. Other than that strechting the skin is a must but don`t over strech just remove the eleasticity as I learned with SE`s can cause more blood than wanted lol

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  15. awake2shave

If your interested I would be up for going shavettes for a week straight with you ( and anyone else who wants to) so we can cratique our techniques in real time. Might help jogg my memmory because the last time I used it was 3 weeks ago .

16. lindyhopper66

Would that be shaving every other day to get enough growth or everyday? I also do a bit better with my old Weck Hair Shaper because of the thicker blade.

Let me know and I will try again.

17. awake2shave

every other day for full face. sideburn trimming, mustache removal, goatee removal all as needed. For me I found having more hair in the area helped show the pressure and angle needed to trim. So when the hair is stubble I just replicate how I shave when I had the visual accompaniment of a 2 weeks growth on the chin and jawline length sideburns

18. lindyhopper66

Okay I'll start Friday and then every other day. Or I could try a longer wait to shave and really have some stubble.

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very light touch and you do fine.

20. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Great offer, and I would agree with "outside experience" being a key factor. Sharp things of every sort have been my hobby, since I was about 6. I readily confess, tho', my Weck surprised me the first time out, and left me with a very weepy neck. The edges are so fine that it goes from light feedback to slice, literally with a heartbeat. An absolute delight when you get that gliding, delicate touch down, and well worth the effort.