Shavettes...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I'm curious about these razors. One can be had for $20 bucks or so. How does one use it on one's self? I've had a straight razor shave at a barber shop one time and I was scared to death that the old timer was going to cut my throat. He didn't, and it was one of the best shaves I've ever had.
    Are there differences in them, since they take a blade?
    Is it worth trying?
    Which one should I try that will not destroy my bank account in the event that I want to re-sell it?

Any advise is welcome....Thanks.
    Rich.

Spyder and Pilotcld like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9NCCBO/?tag=thshde-20

This one is like 14 dollars. Cheap as chips. You use it like a straight. No pressure and it gives you similar to a straight. The blade is all preference. Worth a shot? I'd say so. I just prefer my straights. More forgiving and less irritation.

Spyder and RyX like this.
  3. Poetical1

Poetical1 Member

I have been able thus far to fight temptation of getting a shavette, but I also am curious.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MR41, Spyder and RyX like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've found that blade choice doesn't matter much in a shavette. As you say, it's all about fine control.

Hi guys! I am a daily shavette user. Shavettes and straights provide the same results. That said, if one does not possess straight razor skills, a shavette is the more difficult learning path. Shavette blades are thinner and sharper than straights, and the margin for error is far less. Skin stretching is mandatory, or you will bleed profusely. Most people who start with shavette quit because they lack the technique and skill. That's not to say don't try a shavette, but if you do, you may be in for a rough ride without learning traditional straights first. I am a big fan and advocate for shavette, and wish you all the luck in the world should you give it a try.

5. Poetical1

Poetical1 Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but @ Bama Samurai is there a inexpensive straight you'd recommend for a beginner?

Spyder and RyX like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Yes. I learned on one from this source. Others will confirm.

Www.whippeddog.com

Order a "sight unseen", ask for a round point, get the "poor man's" strop kit. Larry is the owner, has a AAAA reputation, and he does the honing. All the sales are through email only. His edges are excellent.

MR41, PickledNorthern, JohnDB and 4 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

8. Poetical1

Poetical1 Member

Thanks Bama Samurai

JohnDB, Spyder and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

My pleasure.

Do you do full face shaves, or some goatee or other?

If you are doing full face shaves, then Round Point straights are all you'll ever need. Spike points are for detail work, and make newbies look like they've lost a fight to a housecat.

10. Poetical1

Poetical1 Member

I have a goatee. Looking like I lost a fight wouldn't be a good look for me. Currently I DE shave and use clippers for detail work

Spyder likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

+1 to Larry at Whipped Dog. The straight razor you receive may not be a Beauty Queen. It will have a Shave Ready edge. It's a good way to try out the straight experience without spending as much as you might buying a new razor. I own two of his, and a Poor Man's strop.
    Shavettes are not a training tool to learn straights. The blade of a straight tends to be more stable because of the thickness of the steel, and there are many grinds to choose. Then there's stropping, a necessary skill that is a requirement to straight razor maintenance. Not magic, just keeping your edge keen. Honing is a whole 'nother skill set best left for after you have made the choice to continue with straights.
    Those two skills, stropping and honing, don't happen with a shavette. Pop in a fresh blade as you like. I enjoy a Weck brand that uses a longer, stiffer blade than the DE shavette Chris @Bama Samurai enjoys. There are some units that take several blade types. Getting into shavettes can be quite a bit less expensive compared to straights. But keep in mind there's a learning curve. Might take 30 days to start to feel like you "Get It". By 60 days, you may have really developed technique to the point that you can do a full shave without issues, DE clean up passes, or errors. Worth it? Yup. Can be done only as a weekend hobby? Not so much.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Cool. To try straights...get a round point, and learn to do your necks and cheeks. The idea is too find out if the style works for you. If it does, your own confidence and results will tell you if it's time to get into spike point straights. It would be a good idea to watch a straight razor "how to" video about skin stretches. It will maximize whatever DE safety razor model you use, and teach you a fundamental Straight skill that isn't optional. You could take a detour through aggressive injector land, but straight shaving is merely tedious, it's not difficult. It kinda gets turned into a bigger deal than it really is, and I encourage anyone interested to go for it. Will you bleed a bit? Yes. Will it be frustrating? Yes. Will it be ok? Yes. Will you get an amazing feeling of skill and accomplishment when you catch your first great straight shave? Absolutely yes. If you learn on an inexpensive straight and like it, you could do what I did, and switch over to a $20 Parker Stainless Shavette. The fun doesn't change, but you'll be using DE blades and never have to worry about blade edge quality.

Random: I play bass, albeit in a novice/hobby way, and your avatar caught my eye.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Pilotcld, AGHisBBS, Poetical1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

I've never held a Weck, but it looks like it would approximate a traditional straight fairly well. Seems like I would like it, intuitively. Good stuff about Shavettes are not a learner tool. They are tools intended for use by certified and licensed barbers/hairdressers and such, and were developed because they are cheaper with zero maintenance, and Shavettes can be submerged in Barbicide. This would destroy the scales of most straights; not to mention that a hanging strop can't be deemed sanitary because it's in an open shop.

Also, thing you do to the corners is worth a mention for @Poetical1

RyX, Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a Dove shavette. That is where the name came from by the way. I have also shaved with straights. The Shavette can be a handful. You have to take the time to learn the tricks so to speak. It will bite quick and hard if you let it. On the other side of the coin the shaves are awesome and you can pretty much use any blade you can get. There is also something special about having the skills to get a great shave from a shavette. Do not let me run you off. The learning curve is kinda steep but not as hard as it might seem.

I say give it a go. You can get them on the cheap, blades are on the cheap, and the experience is worth a million. Plus it's just more fun then a bucket full of rubber toad frogs to use one.

15. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Shavette are great.....
    Easy to get a consistent sharp blade. (Just change it)
    The plastic piece which holds the blade can get worn out over time. And hair gets wedged in it so completely clean your razor. Both can cause warp to the blade and cause burn or nicks.

But I can get a sharper edge on a regular straight. I also can get a smiling razor...Both can't be had on a shavette.
    A shavette is good for traveling when you don't want to pack and bother with stropping a razor or have a problem with dropping or hitting the edge on the sink.
    And the ever possible lost luggage. Losing a $20 shavette doesn't hurt as much as losing a $200 favorite and a strop.
    I used one for @ 18 months before I started with a regular straight. Not exactly the best way to start into straight razor Shaving. But I've never been one to do things the easy way to begin with.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If $$ are a concern the shavette may be the less expensive route. With a straight you'll need a strop, which yo may ( or may not) ruin while learning to strop. You'll also have to have it re-honed at some point, or buy hones and learn that skill. Typically one razor is not enough. I would say most of the straight shavers enjoy the stropping and honing expierience, as well as the acquisition of strops, hones and razors. Don't worry, there are plenty of folks here to help you spend your money:)

17. Poetical1

Poetical1 Member

@ Bama Samurai I've played percussion for several years. It's not how I make a living, but it's a passion that brings in extra cash and keeps me out of trouble..... (mostly out of trouble)

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

That Thing I attribute to Jared @PickledNorthern , because his suggestion was the first I recall reading.
    Done to straight it's called "muting the corner(s)". A round point straight doesn't have any points or corners. They are suggested as a first straight for learning to shave. Then there are spikes or pointy blade styles. Many names but the gist is the corner of the blade is sharp all the way to that pointy bit at toe, heel, or both. A point can be muted after the straight is honed by purposely dulling it right at the tip. It helps to keep that tip from dipping and causing nicks. The same can be done with a disposable blade used in a shavette. Using a sharpening stone too coarse to hone, but acceptable for my kitchen knives, I very gently break the corner of my shavette blade. It leaves the 95%+ of the blade as the factory sharpened it, but those pesky points are less likely to dip and nick.
    If someone chooses to try shavettes knowing the type of blades it utilizes should be considered. DE blades are a well discussed topic, and many shavettes are designed solely for them. That's the type Chris @Bama Samurai uses. The Weck I use requires a different blade. Similar to an injector blade, it's of thicker steel, and has a wrap of metal around the spine of the blade.
    Below, from top to bottom; DE 37mm long,Schick Injector type at 38mm, Feather 50mm, and my Weck Personna 57mm. DE37  Injector38 Feather50 Personna57 mm.jpg
    (Edited for grammar mistakes.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    ninjack, wristwatchb, JohnDB and 8 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Most excellent! So much fun.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I tried the ones with a DE blade snapped in half, several times, and it wasn't pretty. When I picked up a Straight Razor, it was easier on the blood letting. I haven't tried the other styles of shavettes.

Spyder, Keithmax and RyX like this.