Shaving Brush - Durability ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Wantedteen, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Wantedteen

Wantedteen New Member

I bought a Wilkinson Sword Shaving brush from Superdrug a month ago. I use it for the whole month and it has already worn out. Is that normal for the brushes? How long do shaving brushs last for?

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

First: rinse your brush thoroughly after use and shake out the water in it as best as you can. Also store the brush hanging upside down and _not_ standing. A good, quality badger brush treated that way should last you up to or even beyond 10 years of daily usage.
    Don't know about the cheap wilkinson-brush, though..

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

A budget brush like the wilkinson might have a very short life span.. Mine did.. Less than half a year before I scrapped it.. I would suggest a proper badger brush from eg. Crabtree & Evelyn (Best Badger) or from a german firm Muehle Pinsel ( http://www.muehle-pinsel.de/shop/en/special_offers/products/shaving_brush/5_1_1_366.html ) Dont worry the site is in English.. Many people love the C&E but I havent used it, but I can wouch for the Muehle.. Its a great brush that would give you years of good service..

And as Klaus wrote, learn to take care of your brush.. Letting it dry in open air is mucho importante..;)

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd also vouch for a Mühle-Brush. I have one, a best badger brush, not even a silvertip, cost me around 35€ ($45) and it lathers like a champ.

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Sounds like a boar brush. Some of those can last a while, but some don't. Omegas are a good one, as are the Col. Conk's.

And it depends on how you use it. If you are really scrubbing hard to get a lather and apply the lather to your face, you won't get a long life outta any brush. You don't mention what kind of cream or soap you are using. Tell us a little more about your lathering technique, and that might help also. ;)

But in general, I would go with a Tweezerman or Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush for now. They can be readily bought online, or depending on where you live, you can find the C&E one in their shops sometimes. Others can be ordered online, like the Muhle-Pinsel, Edwin Jagger, etc. Most of the good English companies have a lower end brush (still badger, though, that would be the better choice over boar) if you are just starting out.

6. Stubble

Stubble Member

Some of the inexpensive boar brushes really do 'wearout' quickly. I think the hair is just to brittle and it just breaks. You can get a pure badger brush for $25 at Shavemac.com. These are excellent German brushes and a great value. The next step up would be their Finest badger, these go for around $40. These are really good quality, not floppy brushes. Go to the site, you can see pictures, sizes etc, etc.
    Best,
    Ken