Shaving Cream Or Foam ? Which One is Better

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Wantedteen, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Wantedteen

Wantedteen New Member

Hi there,

I would like to ask that should I use shaving cream or some foam with my mug and my shaving brush or just use that mug soap?

Which one is best? And what about the brands that are used around there. Anyone will like to advice me any ??

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You can use either shaving cream or shaving soap to whip up the lather. You can either lather in the mug or on your face, whichever suits you best. As far as recommendations are concerned, check our review-section here. Everyone here also loves Mama Bears soaps, they're great shaving soaps and Sue is one of the loveliest ladies this earth has ever seen ::

Oh, one more thing: Stay well clear from gel/foam/cream from the can, this stuff is next to useless for a really good, close, irritation-free shave. Only use quality soaps or creams.

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I feel that you are kind of new to traditional wet shaving so I would suggest go with the easy one.. Get a nice shaving soap and a proper brush.. Ill suggest my own favourite soap, Mama Bear (see link above ), Its a glycering based soap with loads of nice stuff for your skin and they are wery easy to lather - and they smell GREAT too =)

You cannot go wrong with Mama Bear

And I agree with Klaus - Keep clear from the canned stuff from the supermarket.. It is basically useless, escpecially if you have some kind of "problems" like ingrowns and serious razor burn..

And while im at it.. Get a descent after-shave as well.. Its good to have to reduce the burn..

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thomas and Klaus are a million percent right. Canned foam is plain garbage, which not only can louse up the skin, but doesn't even contribute to a good shave. A nice soap or lather cream, and a good brush are paramount and indispensable for having a good shave.

Jeff

5. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I completely agree with everything you guys have said. If you are still wanting to use foam, I've heard the Proraso foam is passable. Never used it before, but I've heard some good things. Of course, I'd never use it over a good soap or cream.