Shaving Green

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PhilNH5, Mar 27, 2011.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

My water heater is in a semi detached garage. I also have a well and a septic system. I try to minimize water use for the sake of my well and septic. I have a 12 year old front loader washing machine, low flush toilets and low flow aerators on the shower and all faucets.

I could wait 5 minutes at the bathroom sink to get hot water. Below is my routine to keep my water usage down.

First I shave prior to showering. I know this is blasphemy to many but it works for me.

Pic 1. I heat a quart of water in the microwave for 5 minutes while I walk the dogs.

Pic 2. Then I pour the water into my shave mug until it is filled with hot water. The rest goes into the sink.
    I let it sit until the bowl is good and hot. I empty the hot water from the shave bowl into the sink.

Pic 3. Then I build my lather in the hot bowl.

Pic 4. I leave the shave bowl in the sink while I shave. This keeps the lather good and hot.

When finished I drain and rinse the sink and rinse my face in the shower.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

If it works shaving before your shower go for it..I tried it in the past..always got irritation..now I shave ONLY in the shower with a heavy DE and never get irritation due to moisture aplenty..my straight razors are the exception to the sink..though if you wanna go a step further in "shaving eco"..try gettin into straight razors..1 blade to maintain for the next 50years at the least you dont buy more!..:happy102

ST

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

It's your shave, if you are happy with the results, then do what works for you. :)

Very innovative use of minimal water I might add. :happy088