Shaving Hall of (internet) fame aka the coffee and stroke thread

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 29, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    While I was doing research and writing a possible future article, I discovered that @mantic named/popularized blade buffing. Excerpt from the article below:

"Blade buffing was a step in the late Charles Roberts's Method Shaving, though it was taken to extremes there, involving up to 100 strokes in a single spot. @mantic has credited Charles Roberts as the inspiration for his "blade buffing" technique."

I had no idea. Mantic isn't one to toot his own horn, but he should be recognized for popularizing that.

That got me thinking, "is there anything that I have contributed to the wider world of wet shaving, that people probably don't know?"

Yes.

A long time ago (2012), there was no such thing as a hybrid knot brush. There was Bulb, Fan, and Flattop. There were also one or two discussions about knot shapes where there was a mention of a bulb/fan hybrid knot. Those comments were about knots that were intended to be either bulb or fan shaped, but had characteristics of the other shape. I decided that a "hybrid knot" was a thing (or ought to be), and posted about it.

It didn't exactly revolutionize wet shaving, but most wet shavers probably accept that a hybrid knot is a legitimate, independent knot style. Even Lee Sabini (Morris & Forndran, Brad Sears, Rooney) will make hybrid knots to order nowadays. Bernd Blos at Shavemac won't. I asked.

Like Mantic, I wasn't the first person to talk about it or do it, but I was the one who named or popularized it and got it into the collective conciousness of the forums.

@Bama Samurai is the inventor of the "30 day rule," 1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. I have seen this shaving technique/philosophy spread to other shaving forums, and if someone mentions that a newbie should follow 'the 30 day rule,' people know what is being discussed.

Charles Roberts of Enchante "invented" Manchurian badger. When Charles Roberts first offered these brushes, that were made exclusively for Enchante ( as they were, at the time, one of the highest volume Simpson retail outlets in N. America ) they were labeled 'Extra Super'. However, Charles was trumpeting that this was extra special rare badger bristle ( which it may well have been ) that came out of the colder climate of Manchuria. On the original forum some of us started to refer to them as 'Manchurians' and CR quickly took the nudge and told David Carter he wanted subsequent specimens to be actually labeled that way; 'Manchurian badger'.

I don't know who came up with "High Mountain White."

Any other notable examples in this, or other shaving forums?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Frijolero, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ridiculous. Like most everything associated with Roberts. Invented blade buffing? Gimme a break. Roberts had his crazy schtick but I don't believe it much resembles what the rest of us do without any help from Roberts.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I owned an "Extra Super" Simpson CH3. IMO, it bears almost no resemblance to today's offerings. BTW, it was one of the largest, floppiest brushes I have ever tried to use. Glad I was able to recover 100% of my $$.
    Regarding "blade-buffing", I find it hard to believe that there weren't barbers, who used a "buffing" technique a long time ago. Now, whether that was 100 strokes on the exact same area, we'll really never know.

4. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I think who ever invented peeling potatoes invented blade buffing. :bounce015:

ghostlife, Keithmax and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

what planet was he on..

6. Chuck Naill

Planet of the Apes.

brit likes this.
  7. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Let me clarify: I did not invent blade buffing. It's been around a long time in one form or another. I may have helped widen its popularity in an early video of mine though. Same with J-hooking. I will take credit for the name of "The Gillette Slide," though it too has been around for a long time (I just gave it a name). From 2006:

Frijolero, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

There is simply no need for these shaving techniques. Anyone should know how a blade works best for cutting tomatoes and hair.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

and that's how the fight started.:scared003:

Jim99, PLANofMAN, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. Chuck Naill

Can't find it, but I remember an old reference to the "Gillette slide" concept that should pre-date anyone one here.

brit likes this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Back to the OP (hall of fame).

I’m thinking if good stats will get you into a sports hall of fame then maybe my “largest variety of aftershaves used per year” numbers are looking pretty good.

Just saying.

Of course a lot of folks don’t make it into the hall until they’re shopping for a tombstone so I’m not in a rush.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey manic.
    Didn't know you watched the den.
    I read your blog as much as possible.
    Thanks for helping us novices, I really don't care who did what, when and where.
    It's helped me tremendously.
    I Kinda thought here, the hall of fame was determined, in May. ;)
    I'm no contender.

I'm am glad that there are people who have new ideals about equipment or software. Even being back old ideals forgotten in the dust of time.

tp

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

As a Hall of Famer...…"just shave it".

14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I'm not sure of any of this, thanks for helping out by writing articles for wet shaving.
    These thing help me tremendously!
    tp

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  15. Chuck Naill

As someone who was a self taught 14 year old, all this sounds ridiculous.

PLANofMAN and Terry like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Lucky you!
    I didn't have that much time left to do it that way.
    ;)
    tp

Keithmax likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

While not by any means the first to realize the concept, I think I was the first to use the acronym TTT right here on the Den. What do I win?

Keithmax and Terry like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Roberts did not invent blade buffing, nor did Mantic. As I said, Mantic popularized and named the technique.

Without Roberts, "face mapping" wouldn't be as important either, as wet shavers used face mapping as the primary argument against Robert's quasi-scientific 'method' shaving.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i remember my grandfather had a smooth face after a shave in the 70s.i doubt he did any of the said methods.he just shaved till the whiskers were gone..

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. Chuck Naill

I remember my grandfather's male light stubble face and the smell of Aqua Velva.

Paul Turner and brit like this.