Shaving Hall of (internet) fame aka the coffee and stroke thread

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 29, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

"Sir, were you wearing a pink ribbon? No? Here's your lip."

- old Three Stooges gag

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I don't think they were recommending a slide, just diagonal. The other very important suggestion is blade angle. It is common for new SR users to use too steep an angle and scrape rather than cut.

Keithmax, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  3. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

:happy097:

I did actually try it, though. I shave that way with a safety razor, so tried to replicate it with the shavette. It was like my 2nd or 3rd shavette shave ever, and I got through 3 strokes before I decided it might be wiser to log in a few more shaves before tweaking the technique.

Thankfully, there was no blood, but those 3 strokes scared the be-jinkies out of me.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've heard that called a "diagonal shave angle" before. And I've heard of the "suicide stroke," which is shaving ATG under the nostrils.

Keithmax and brit like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

A diagonal stroke is not a slicing stroke. No one uses a strict North to South.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I guess I've been using that suicide stroke under my nose for years and I still have my lip without any damage

I go South to North.
    Happy New Year Everyone

Happiness is the perfect shave

7. Chuck Naill

Cool, beard mapping.!!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    brit likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Not me, I may shave a different angles but definitely not a 'Gilette Slide'.

I tried it once too, with the same results as you.

I do use the suicide pass, N to S on my upper lip with a straight. It is actually pretty easy. I hold the blade with two hands and move my head, trusty me your head will stop moving down as soon as the blade is close.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never thought about it before but while my usual move is buffing ATG everywhere else, the upper lip is the only place I can't. At least not on the first pass. WTG to remove bulk of moustache, then from the outer edge to the philtrum. Then and only then ATG if it's still needed (usually isn't needed). That area is too sensitive for me to go ATG right off.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’ll chime in here on the “slide” with a str8. Again I hold the blade diagonal to the beard. This improves cutting efficiency, as well as reducing any tugging. I would speculate most (if not all) str8 users do this without even realizing it.

I don’t like the term “ Suicide Pass”. He’ll, if you slip; you won’t die;). This is also commonly known as a “Fools Pass” I generally do three pass shaves and north/ south on pass one than left to right, right to left on the remaining passes. I do the fools pass on occasion. Holding the blade with both hands, similar to @Keithmax

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Spyder "suicide pass" just sounds so much more intense.

I'm pretty sure it works like this: you slip, half slightly nick your nose, drop the razor, which then seperates your twig from the berries, at which point you walk into the bedroom and commit suicide.

Ironically, I'm the exact opposite. The only place I normally shave ATG (blade buffing at that!) is right under the sniffer.

Keithmax, Edison Carter and Spyder like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Damn :shocked003: Suicide pass it is then!

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

One of us is clearly the evil mirror universe counterpart of the other. I suspect it's me, I have the goatee.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Keithmax likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:shocked003: Always wear protection when you use a straight razor.

Spyder likes this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

For the record......
    ...... I am totally opposed to twig and berry separation..!,

Spyder, PLANofMAN and brit like this.