Shaving less, enjoying it more

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DonR, Apr 19, 2020.

1. DonR

DonR Active Member

It's been awhile since I've posted. As a result of being home bound for the last few weeks I've found time to revisit some things. For me, working from home these days I find myself not shaving everyday, as a matter of fact I've dropped down to once or twice a week. My big change now that I'm not in traffic every morning for an hour, is when I am shaving I've made it into me time again and revisiting my collection of straights. Taking my time to prep and enjoy the shave, what a feeling. I have enough supplies to ride out a five or ten year pandemic. Revisiting the basics, and refining the techniques required to master the fine manly art of shaving with a straight razor is my oasis during these times.
    Hope everyone is staying safe.

PanChango, mvd, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  2. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

This is me. Has been since the new year.

Less is more sometimes

steve207, Enrico and cliffb599 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I also shave two to three times a week ..... it's worked for me for years. Working second shift usually afforded me the luxury of a relaxing shave.

:eatdrink013:

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I'm in. This thread has potential.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not in. In fact, I'm in the opposite position. I've been more or less shaving as the whim takes me for the past year or so.

Now, as a beta tester for Tom's adjustable razor, I'm shaving daily. It's quite the change.

Change is good, whichever direction it takes you in shaving.

speedster and Enrico like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Not in, I enjoy my daily shaving ritual at this moment in life!

7. brit

brit in a box

not in,daily shaving for work purposes,and still daily while at home to feel normal..but sometimes i do feel i get closer shaves if done every other day..

8. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

I've experimented a lot, and 3 days is my sweet spot. Never been a daily shaver, too irritating to my skin and stubble is too patchy. Sometimes even a 2 day shave, if not fully 48 hours, is too much. But 4 days is definitely too much stubble, with a lot of drag on the blade.

9. LaneP

LaneP Well-Known Member

I have done much telework recently but still shave every morning with only rare exception. Feeling stubble 24 hours later just doesn't sit well with me and I want to get that smooth feel back.

10. whaap

whaap Active Member

Not too long ago (3 or 4 years) I found myself in the stubble period of my life. Between now and then I went back to wet shaving every day. My routine now is my electric Braun every other day. Being an old fart and retired you can do pretty much what ever the whim.

MelC likes this.
  11. speedster

speedster Well-Known Member

I have some whiskers still emerging 3 days after shaving, so I find shaving 2-3x per week to be my sweet spot as well. If I’m testing out SR edges / hones, then I will shave more frequently but the results aren’t nearly as satisfying. The longer the wait the better the shave, but one can defer the fun for only so long.

12. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

My face can't hold up to DE shaves everyday either.

Seems like I need to wait at least a good 36hrs. But usually just shave every other day.

I seem to get my best shaves on weekends, when I have the extra few minutes to focus on my shave

On work days. I just going for a good 3 pass shave and some quick touch up's. This is at 4:30AM in the morning and to stay on schedule. I only have about 10min or so to get it done.

I don't mind night or evening shaves as I'm not rushed. But prefer shaving in the mornings for some reason.

Enrico likes this.
  13. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

The real emergency will be the shavepocalypse. Make sure you’re ready to ride that out.
    Personally, I’m hoarding Veg.

14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm usually a 1 pass and buff shaver .... using witch hazel on the buffing. It works amazingly well. My shave time is about 5-10 minutes. To be honest .... if you shave like your grandfather ..... He shaved to remove his facial hair not to make a grand ceremony of it.

:eatdrink047:

15. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think I need this mentality. At least on work mornings.

Was running late one morning last week and did a quick 2 pass shave with some touch up's. I'd say it turned out to be a better shave than I expected.

Enrico likes this.