Shaving my son with a 100 yo razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Epimetheus, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Josh has a significant tremor from cerebral palsy (FYI, CP is a wide spectrum from a very mild tremor to needing a wheelchair). His electric razor serves pretty well until he decided to grow a beard, then get rid of it. It was like taking an underpowered electric Weed Wacker to a cornfield.

The 1920 Gillette single ring, a new Voskhod blade, and the very mild Nivea shave cream made short work of his ginger beard. Finish up with unscented skin cream. It takes several days for the skin to get used to shaving again and it took 3 days to get everything BBS.

I was apprehensive shaving someone else, it works out if you know what it is supposed to feel like.

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a successful shave. My oldest brother suffers with tremors too. He has never been diagnosed with anything, but at times his tremors are so bad, when he comes over to celebrate on holidays I have to dish his plate up and carry it to the table for him. I wish he would investigate the tremors with a doctors appointment, but he insists on not addressing it. The tremors have gotten progressively worse over the years, but he won't address it. But anyway, on to the topic at hand. He shaves with a Weishi and a Feather Popular I gave him. I offered to help him if he needs it, but he refuses. He still manages to shave himself with a DE. He really tries to be independent. Some day I may have to help take care of him though. My Mrs already doesn't like the fact that I do many things for him. Sometimes it interferes with her and my activities, but he's my brother, you know? I will always try to help him.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Congrats on shaving someone's face besides your own.
    I shaved a friend a couple of times when he was bedridden and its not easy. I never realized how much I rely on what my face feels. Not to mention all the skin stretching I do just by making faces.
    I gained a new respect for barbers.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Great story/experience.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Wonderful!

7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Good for you that you got to share a cool moment and one of your hobbies with your son. Cant wait to introduce wet shaving to mine....hope you guys got to leave the house looking and feeling pretty good