Shaving Soap Questions and Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by WildIris, May 23, 2016.

1. WildIris

WildIris New Member

Hi~
    I am looking for some friendly advice on shaving soaps and their containers. I want to make shaving soap for my husband and gifts for friends. I want to know what makes for excellent shaving soap. Castor oil? Shea?

I have located stainless steel tins for the soaps, regular tins rust and don't last, but I am wondering about depth. Is one inch above the soap puck enough to swirl and load a brush?

I love making soap for family and friend, so I want to get this together for a father's day gift and birthday gifts.

Boar Brushes?

Thanks for the help.

Iris.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry I can't help, but I do extend a warm welcome to the Den!

3. WildIris

WildIris New Member

Thanks!

swarden43 likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Do you want to do cold process or melt and pour? I like to use a mixture of Shea butter and goat milk milk and pour bases.

BeShaved likes this.
  5. WildIris

WildIris New Member

I agree, I like shea and goat milk and prefer M&P. I want to make something that lathers well. The hand soaps I've made produce a lovely soft lather and do not leave skin feeling dry. I am uncertain how these bases would work for shaving soap. Do you have any experience making M&P with bases?

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, that's all I do. I mix Shea butter base with goat milk base & a "shave soap base" I get from www.peakcandle.com. The shave soap base is just a high-lather glycerin base aAnd I don't use much of it- about 1/2 pound for every 4 pounds of Shea base. All the bases I use are sulfate-free.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

off the subject of shaving soap, how's the ankle. @Sara-s ?

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

welcome to TSD, Iris.

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Healing steadily, but not quite completely yet. Thanks for asking @Paul Turner

Paul Turner likes this.