Shaving the blues (blades, that is)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DarkAudit, Jan 22, 2009.

1. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I've been scanning the auctions looking for more (current target, the red tip, preferably with case) and I've seen quite a few that include dispensers of the blue or super blue blades. Some of the blade dispensers are still in the original wrapper and cellophane.

Just for arguments sake, I'll throw in the vintage stainless ones too. Are there still any good shaves left in these old guys, or am I better off getting them for display purposes only? (if at all)

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Carbon steel Blue Blades are great for display purposes. Most stainless blades should still shave great. Some of my favorites are from the mid 70's and shave as well as any available today.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Here was this mornings shave with some Gillette blades probably from the late 70's or early 80's. Wonderful!

[​IMG]

4. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

+1 on the vintage stainless steel. I'm using them almost exclusively now. I haven't really found a current production blade that I like better than the stainless blades by Wilkinson, Gillette, and Schick from a few decades back. I'm getting seven or more shaves easily from each blade.

I must say that I have used some of the later edition Gillette Thins (carbon) with nice results.

I also recently tried some very old Personnas. They are carbon steel and hollow ground. Triple wrapped and immaculately packaged. They are a treat to use. Definitely not a smooth experience, you really know you are cutting whiskers...but no pain. Short light strokes and great results. I think the extra layers of wrapping combined with proper storage are the reason these blades are still shave worthy.

DarkAudit, if I had some old Blues that were still cellophane wrapped I would definitely take one out for a spin. Just don't expect smooth sailing. These blades were not smooth shavers even when they were brand new.

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Just scored this 3x of 10 Spoiler stainless for $10.95. These packages look a little newer than the pic above.

6. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Great score! Let us know how they perform for you.

7. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Revisiting after going through a couple of Spoilers. I like 'em so far. Definitely better than that one Derby I tried. May give another a shot after this red IP I have lined up next to compare to the Astra and Wilkinson.

I have a number of old Thins that I picked up in my travels. Even more keep popping up on the bay. How are they?