Shaving with the Azor Day 1

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Chebb, Sep 21, 2008.

1. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

I contacted King of Shaves' Will King after he had posted about his new Azor razor. I offered to try if for 30 days exclusively as I needed a razor for trips and didn't want to lose my Merkur or Gillette SS. He agreed and I received a package with 2 Azors (One for my friend who is the other test subject). The packaging was pretty simple in design and function, I was relieved I didn't require a plasma cutter to open it. The Azor's got a pretty interesting design to it, with 2 arms instead of a single neck holding the cartridge in place. Well on to the shave...I used Em's pre-shave oil, and lathered up with Pirate's Cove Menthol soap. I used a 4 pass: NSx2, XTG, ATG with a warm water rinse in between passes and relathering of course. I found the shave to be quite close, and enjoyable, with no nicks, cuts or bruises, MUCH better than my shaves with the M3 or Fusion...the only thing was getting used to something so light, much lighter than it's American counterparts by a long shot. I finished up with an alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel and Nivea aftershave balm...as soon as I'm done writing this up it's some TABAC cologne and off to work with a pretty darn good shave!
    Not bad for day 1!
    Thank you Will & Nicky!

Attached Files:

• Azor.jpg
      Azor.jpg
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
  2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

its very interesting looking.

between cartridges, does it double as a wet shaving wishbone?

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

No, a Divining rod for gems and other SEs

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm confused. What and where did this razor come from and whos making it and the whole 9 yards.

5. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Hi JayKay, it's all here. http://www.shave.com/
    Mods - this may have to move to Cartridge Razors - my apologies.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's ok, we're all asleep anyway. :sleep025
    Michael kept us awake all night regaling us with his glorious adventures in Mach3 land.

7. JayKay

Wow. Those are even more expensive than the gillettes cartridge razors.

8. Queen of Blades

$8.27 for 4 cartridges is more expensive than Gillette cartridges?

At least when you decide to stop using it, it doubles as a sling shot. After removing the cartridge, of course.

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

:shocked003

10. JayKay

Well, close enough to the price of gillette cartridges to take it out of personal consideration, not that I'm looking to use a multiblade cartridge anyway.

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

No, JoAnna it is not a sling shot. It is as Single Wedge says "A divining rod for GEMs and ERs" No doubt about it. I want one! And I want mine before Dave gets his!!!!

:bounce015

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I read through the shaving faq on their website and found it to be very amusing. Most of the problems they address (ingrown hairs, razor burn, etc...) can be solved by switching over to applying soap/ cream with a brush and using a sharp DE blade. But they want to sell you an expensive product to solve your problem instead.

Reminds me of why I grew a beard instead of shaving with a cartridge "system."

13. Queen of Blades

Actually, Single Wedge said it was a diving rod, not to be confused with a divining rod. ;)

14. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Edit post.

Mac keyboards do not spring like a PC.

15. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Shaving with the Azor Day 2

Shaved last night before going off to bed using Proraso preshave and Castle & Forbes Lavender shaving cream. Once again a DFS (Damn Fine Shave) using 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG with no weepers, nicks or cuts. I am getting used to how light it feels. As far as looks, I like the Azor, it's very simple, elegant not over-designed and doesn't come in an over-packaged clamshell that seems to test the limits of one's patience as well as filling up the planet with more useless plastic. An advantage over the big 2 would be a cartridge recycling program through KoS, i.e. send us your cartridges we'll send you a coupon for half off your next purchase of a 4 or 8 cartridge pack - just thinking out loud. Nontheless pretty good for day 2, and while this won't replace my Merkur or SS it is an interesting study at least for me...now if I could only get the divining rod portion to work....:D

16. Queen of Blades

But the blades are coated in Endurium! And it has a Hybrid Synergy design! :confused:

Whoa, the hype! :shocked031

17. JayKay

You have to pay for postage to send them blades to get a cupon for half off? Ehhh.... I'll stick with DEs

18. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

I didn't say that you'd have to pay. Easy enough to include a little plastic pre-paid sleeve like some of my inkjet inks come in. Once you use 4 cartridges plop them in their little plastic holder, put in a mailer and send it back. Now of course the DE route is the easiest, plop used blades in a blade bank, once filled, close & recycle...can't beat that. Just throwing out ideas maybe one will stick if not with KoS, then maybe Gillette, or Schick. BTW I'm not gonna give up my DE shave goods, not by a loooooooooooooong shot....:D

19. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Good on these guys who are prepared to give Gillette and Schick something to think about!!! No guts,No glory. Go for it!!

20. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

Thank goodness they aren't coated in Pure Unobtainium, that would drive the cost WAY up!
    :eek:.