Shedding a VDH Deluxe boar

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rene, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I use with lots of pleasure a VDH Deluxe boar, I received from Dridecker a while ago.

Only the number of hairs this boar sheds with each shave are far more than even my own scalp sheds :D

Is this common with a VDH brush, or do I have an unlucky shedder??

2. beyboo

beyboo New Member

While I cannot comment as I have no experience with a VDH boar, my Omega boars do not shred more than one hair in a month and usually because I did something to break it off.

Use the opportunity to get a badger knot and implant it in the VDH handle !!

3. geneaut

geneaut Member

My VDH shed a decent amount early, but then calmed down after a few weeks. After that initial stage it only drops a bristle about twice a month.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think the VDH brush QC is suspect and some are better than others. In any event, they have trimmed bristles which make them not so good a brush. Servicable certainly, but not nearly as good as a untrimmed boar such as made by Omega or Vulfix. While acceptable as a starter or backup brush, I expect you'll want to upgrade to a better boar or a badger brush at some point.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:rofl Erik trust me, Rene has much better brushes already.

Rene, I don't want you to feel under any obligation to continue using that brush, I only picked it up and sent it to you as an example of a VDH brush. If it turns out to be a shedder, feel free to store it in the circular file cabinet.

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Unfortunately, I think it's a common failure of the breed. Over the years I've owned probably half a dozen VDH boar brushes most of them have been extreme shedders. My current VDH boar sheds but not nearly as bad as my previous brushes. I think maybe I just got lucky this time. The good news is, a replacement can be had at a reasonable price. The VDH Boar IMHO, has a delightful coarseness that is unmatched in other boar brushes (even those of better quality or higher price.) I guess that's what keeps me coming back.

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Oh yes...... I certainly have much better brushes already http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315672&highlight=drooling#post315672

I will see for a while how it settles, Bill :happy088

And otherwise is will be laid to rest at the sacred bush cemetery :D

8. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I agree the Q/C on VDH boars is pretty much non-existent but for the price and the wholesale market they sell to can't really fault them.

I picked up my last one for $3.50 I believe, or in that ballpark on sale...

Of the 4 I have bought, this last one shed like a dog for a month, 3-4 hairs a shave, now it never sheds period....

It has grown on me to the point I find myself using it when I'm in a hurry and don't want to fuss with proper soaking/drying/cleaning for the week :happy102

9. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I've been using a VDH boar for a little while now and it sheds. At least one or two hairs a shave. I want to get a better brush but I just can't make myself do it.

I want a big a badger like a 28mm or something... and with a longer handle about the width of my fist.

I like the one jockeys has: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3JRmActHE

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I've got two VdH boars, green handle and white handle. The green one was really cheap. After the first couple of shaves with each, most of the shedding stopped, although they'll lose a hair now and then. As someone else pointed out, though, QC can be inconsistent and others may not do as well. If I were recommending a first brush to someone, it would be a Tweezerman badger.

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

A while back I found myself unconsciously stalking the Tweezerman badger. When Fall/Winter comes around, I plan to try some creams and a redneck scuttle. This may re-invigorate my Tweezerman badger initiative but for the moment, my resolve remains in tact:

"Badgers!? Badgers!? We don't need no steenking badgers!"

12. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Rene,

These are generally known to shed. I have two in white and blue handled version. The latter however didn't shed as much strangely enough. Guess I was lucky.

13. Sodapopjones

Yeah, their QC is pretty much hit or miss, this last one has been used and abused and is holding up just as well as my 10005.....

To bad the other 3 didn't or these brushes would have been an absolute steal..

14. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

After multiple shaves, the shedding is getting less and less......

But the brush is still as lovely as ever :D

I think I will stick to it a little longer and otherwise it will be my brush for the roadtrips........ No harm done with that :happy088

15. Sodapopjones

No doubt, who cares if it gets lost right? :rofl

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

17. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

I don't remember which forum it was but one guy re-knotted his. If anything you can always get knot from TGN. The specs for mine are approximate as I don't have calipers:

Ht: 109 mm Loft: *57 mm Base: *52 mm Knot: ~25 mm ( whi ver is short in loft by 2mm )

I have 24 knot boar and I would get that as I have 3 what's 1 more? It's not only very inexpensive but one of the best knots I've ever used. If I didn't have several brushes to break-in I'd be using that.

Laminated wood
    [​IMG]

Pink Ivory and Spalted Tamarind are 24 knot

[​IMG]

18. Depilator

Depilator New Member

Have two, both at least ten years old. Usually shed a hair or two every shave. Got them for a vacation trip and didn't expect much. They will probably outlast me. Enjoy a good boar so I think I'll try Vie-Long next though.

19. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

RIP....... VDH Deluxe

I am sadly informing you that I had to depart from my VDH Deluxe boar......

May the road rise up to meet you
    May the wind be always at your back
    May the sun shine warm upon your face
    The rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Rest in Peace my beloved, shedding, partner in the never ending quest for the ultimate shave!!

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry to hear about your loss. God's peace to you.

You know what dog lovers say... "As soon as you lose one, get another to replace her as soon as you can." :D