Sheraton Users

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dapper-in-a-can-man, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Have you noticed the amazing efficiency in that razor? I have recently picked it back up after shaving with a slant for what seems like ages now, and the way that blade sings in that razors is amazing. What are your experiences with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have never used one.
    How have you been?

brit likes this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I got one as an economical version of Gillette's first TTO type razors. It's nice to use and have in my collection.

brit likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is one of the best TTOs that Gillette has made.

Sheraton_23.JPG

BlaydRunner, brit, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It would depend which Sheraton.
    sher1.jpg

The one on the left is a 37 - 38, the one on the right is 38 - 40.

The one on the left is very aggressive while the one on the right is less aggressive but still an aggressive razor and a lot more efficient. Both are good shavers but the 37 - 38 is a lot rougher on the face.

With that said there are a few razors that shave close feel wise to the 37 - 38 Sheraton assuming you use the same blade across the razors. The US 36 - 38 Aristocrat is one of them along with the 53 and up Diplomat or President and the 1975 V3 and up dated coded Super 109's aka Black Beauties set at 8 or 9.

The closest one to the 38 - 40 Sheraton is the 38 - 40 Senator. There is probably others but that is only one that comes to mind right now.

BlaydRunner, brit and Somnos like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a 37-38 Sheration and find it to be super mild when fully closed. It is so mild that it is almost ineffective. After fully tightening it down, I open up the TTO knob a 1/4 turn to make it a little more aggressive. As per the original instructions(bottom right):
    [​IMG]

BlaydRunner, brit, Somnos and 3 others like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Maybe we have a different threshold of pain, skin types or you don't shave ATG? I do 2 ATG passes and that is where this razor becomes really nasty for me as far as irritation and weepers. The WTG passes not so much. I also shave at almost no angle except where the blade and or razor dictates otherwise.

One other possibility is you've been doing this long enough those supposedly aggressive razors are no longer aggressive as you've acclimated to them. I know that does happen for me anyways ,there are razors I used to almost not be able to tolerate shaving with that now are mild to me like my Gillette Slim set at 9. Now I won't use the Slim at any other setting when I do use it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    BlaydRunner, brit, Somnos and 3 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

I do 3 passes WTG/ATG/XTG in that order. When Fully closed my Sheraton has no gap whatsoever. I do have a tendency to prefer more aggressive razors but a pre-war Tech and Flare Tip SS feel more aggressive to me then my Sheraton.

Bird Lives and Somnos like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Looks like a case of different strokes for different folks here. Unless you find it different I would suggest moving the ATG pass to your last pass, it made a big difference to me as far as irritation goes after the shave depending the razor.

I do 5 passes WTG, WTG at about 45 degree from ear to chin, XTG, ATG and ATG at about 45 degree from chin to nose. I couldn't shave like this daily let alone with certain razors now I can do both, doesn't matter how aggressive or if DE or SE anymore. With that said there are some razors I would still prefer to not shave this way or daily.

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have two 1937 Sheratons and don't find either to be aggressive at all. In fact, their both equally mild...WTG,XTG,ATG. I'm wondering if yours is out of alignment or something. Maybe send it to Cap'n Murphy at Vintage Razor Repair?

Herm

11. Linuxguile

I find I get a closer shave if I do ATG before XTG. I usually don't have any issue with irritation.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is possible, but the original one I had I've since sold off and acquired one in better condition. Thing is I've had the same type of shave with those other razors I listed and they aren't out of alignment.

Herm2502 and Linuxguile like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I guess it is a technique thing then.

Herm2502 and Linuxguile like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

The farther I get into hobby shaving the more I realize how individual are our experiences. When the Sheraton was introduced, during the holidays I think, I am sure the men who received them learned to make them effective for their type of beard type.

I question how much ATG, except for the neck, was practiced. I know it was never something I did for 50 years and now I have stopped the practice. I do not think for me it is healthy. And, since I shave everyday and could even shave twice a day if I had a evening event, it's nice to have something to shave every morning.

Somnos and Linuxguile like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have one, but never really bonded with it. Honestly I get a better shave from the tech.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Mild and ineffective ? Maybe your angle is a little off? It’s a medium aggressive shave for me , but I guess the ymmv factor is in play?

Linuxguile and Chuck Naill like this.
  17. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

DA4D016A-EE90-43CB-B441-24A85423819B.png Well I have the 38+ Sheraton that comes by way of Chris Spencer at Backroads Gold and not only is it a looker but a damn fine shaver. I have a 34-35 A’crat that I love but it is milder than my Sheraton. One of my fav TTOs.

Herm2502, BlaydRunner, brit and 2 others like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

You are the first owner I have heard that says the '34 Aristocrat is milder than the Sheraton. I've read some say they shave the same. That's a beautiful razor, BTW.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Somnos and brit like this.
  19. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Well maybe just smoother? I know that I certainly feel the Sheraton more than I feel the A’crat.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  20. Chuck Naill

I feel the '34 Aristocrat to be the Holy Grail of Gillette. Congratulations for being able to own and use. :)

Herm2502 and Somnos like this.