Should I embark on the first lap or get stoned

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Danny Soz, Nov 1, 2019.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

If I am reading that right :)

You bought a Vintage razor for a great price and it worked :D

Pst; That razor in my vid I bought for $8 and it will shave circles around many MUCH higher priced razors..
    No knock on New production and Customs because there are good ones out there, but I prefer Vintage razors personally, especially those made in the Real Golden Age of Production when the factories were trying to survive the onslaught from King Gillette and produced some of the finest blades ever made

ps: The split on profits from the vid are acceptable,,

(I don't monetize my vids) :p :p :p

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  2. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

I'm telling you boss, this baby felt as sweet as an East London girl's smile. I took it out the wrapper earlier on and thought they'd sent me a meat cleaver!

I have to say, if I can get me a decent edge on this one, it'll be my go-to razor for the foreseeable :)

Like yourself, I prefer vintage over the modern, new-fangled gizmos. They tend to be a lot more sturdy and last well, even under heavy usage.

But that's enough about my wife...you don't monetise your vids? That's a real bummer.

Can you just lend me a few hundred bucks till payday then? Serious question.

Edison Carter, Keithmax and gssixgun like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have a preference for 100 year old $7 razor myself.

4. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

I just spotted a 1922 straight on eBay. A real thing of beauty produced in England's mighty 'Steel City'. That's Sheffield to you, Chuck. I may put in a bid for one of these solid gold Egyptian straights that the Pharaohs used to scrape their faces with and send it to you for honing. I would have sent it to Glen but I don't trust the boy one bit. He's already trying to spin me a yarn about not monetising his YooToob videos so that he don't have to pay me what he owes. Can you believe that?
    Why I outta...!

5. Chuck Naill

I have a nice assortment of Wade and Butcher razors, Sheffield made razors. If only the town is imprinted, it's pre 1890 McKinley Tariff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKinley_Tariff

6. Danny Soz

Danny Soz Active Member

Absolutely fascinating! The skill and 'feel' that went into making those tiny steel masterpieces is breathtaking.
    My favourite part was watching the old boy shaving: "What razor are you using there, Bill?"
    "An old one"
    Beautiful! :D

I just shared your vid with a girl on Facebook who comes from Sheffield. She's beautiful too :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

8. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Given where it was honed, probably not shave ready I'm afraid. Send it to Jamie or Fergie Billy in the UK or to Glen in the US.

Danny Soz, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  9. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Glen, your 12k refreshing viedo= Brilliant video. I just watched it. Should be mandatory viewing for all new honers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    gssixgun, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  10. Chuck Naill

Yes, it seems his shaving is what most of us like. Just a bar of soap, a small mirror. Note his stropping before putting away. The blade and shaver user become a partnership.

Danny Soz, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.