Should I try a synthetic?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jay_gatz, Jul 7, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So I have a pretty good number of brushes, primarily badger (multiple grades), Boar, and mixed. I have never tried a synthetic, but PETA tells me I am a cruel bastard for having animal hair in my den. Should I give a synthetic a go? Would love to hear opinions from anyone that has tried both. There were very few synthetics out there when I started this back in '09, so I've just never gotten around to it.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So you're in a crowded bar and you're asking if you should have a drink???

Heck, yeah! They're not that expensive, so if you don't like it you're not out a lot.
    I have several. Never a complaint when they come up in the rotation.
    Feel soft, lather well.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    jaro, awk-m4, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  3. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

My Edwin Jagger large size synthetic is my go to brush, it's the best brush I ever used. My other brushes are boar hair and I have one badger hair. I say so go it! :)

Attached Files:

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Go for it...............

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Got all types of brushes myself. If you don’t have a synth, it’s all your missing. Go for it.

6. brit

brit in a box

one of my favorite brush types.cheap as chips,great results,some cool handles.no break in period,no post shave drying requirement,no presoak..no brainer..:):eatdrink047:

jaro, Ursa, awk-m4 and 4 others like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you love badger and/or boar brushes, you’ll probably not care for synthetic brushes. That being said, you ought to own at least one, since they are cheap. I own several, and one of them, the Simpson's Trafalger 3, is actually a fairly decent brush.

As for PETA, the badgers would have been killed anyways for their meat, so why not use what would be otherwise discarded?
    https://www.activistfacts.com/organ... following list is,of the animals it received.

pocosso, jaro, Ursa and 6 others like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I'm about a 90% synthetic user now. I have several boars/badgers but they rarely get used anymore. I find the synthetics make lather easier and more abundantly. And, as mentioned, they are not expensive at all.

9. DzoniBaldo

DzoniBaldo New Member

Synthetic brushes are getting popular nowadays. Technology is getting better. Im using it from time to time. They are really soft touch and they dont need to be prepared before shaving. Just put them under the water for 5 sec. and you are good to go. They are dry after few slaps too... Go for it Great for travel gear too. Have a great shave!

Sent from my SM-J610FN using Tapatalk

jaro, Ursa, Lancre and 2 others like this.
  10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I needed a travel brush but knew I'd often be putting it away wet. It'd be abused traveling. So I went synthetic. It's much easier to dry and to keep clean than natural bristles IMHO. Try a synthetic! It won't be a panacea, but might just fill a niche in your shaving panoply of options!
    :)
    - Bax

11. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Yes, you should.

jaro, Ursa, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Try it, you'll like it.

8/19 /42

13. jay_gatz

I ended up going for the Trafalgar 2, so we shall see tomorrow after it arrives.

jaro, Ursa, Ijustmissedthe50s and 2 others like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think you'll like it. The "hair" isn't better than some other brushes, in fact, it isn't even Simpson's best synthetic hair. The Trafalgar uses a different grade synthetic fiber (Sovereign grade) than used by the Chubby and some other premium Simpson synthetic brushes (Platinum grade). The chubbies are also more densely packed.

The difference is the loft to diameter ratio. Simpson's gets it right.

I'm still waiting for the vast majority of synthetic brush makers to realize that shoving a makeup powder brush knot into a shave brush handle isn't the best way to make a brush, even if it is the cheapest way.

jaro, Ursa and brit like this.
  15. jay_gatz

Yeah, I couldn’t see spending chubby money on a synthetic, since I have a 1 and 2 in super badger. I may be bias, but I am assuming I am going to still like natural brushes more.

jaro, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

[ but I am assuming I am going to still like natural brushes more.[/QUOTE]

I thought that too but turns out, for me, the other way around. I enjoy and use synthetics predominantly.

Lockback, jaro, Ursa and 2 others like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Never assume!

18. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    No.

brit likes this.
  19. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

From the POV of a publicly held corporation, the cheapest way IS the best way. After all, they're not shaving with it.

Lockback and jaro like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

PETA....
    People Eating Tasty Animals...