should I use aftershave or preshave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by infectedhole, Jan 9, 2014.

1. infectedhole

infectedhole New Member

I'm sure this has been posted before but I have a question about if I should use aftershave and also preshave and if I should what kinds do you recommend

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There's really no "should" on this matter. Try both, and see what works for you. Some folks use both, some use one or the other, some use none.

RaZorBurn123 and BamaT like this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Can't put it any better than JoAnna. Some people find it essential, others find it a nice little extra; others couldn't care less. I use it once in a while because it doesn't make a large difference but it does help a wee bit for me.

4. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

:happy069: :happy069: :happy069:

Personally I like both. A little Noxzema rubbed into my whiskers after a nice steam inna hot towel before and a rinse with cold water an' a wee splash of witch hazel after. ;)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As has been said, can't hurt, might help. Never know 'til you try.

6. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

I never use pre, and I always use after. No right or wrong, try both and see what ya think about them. :)

BigT likes this.
  7. infectedhole

infectedhole New Member

Thank you all for the insight

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I sometimes use pre-shave oil (home made - 40% EVOO, 40% Grape seed oil, 20% Castor Oil, steeped in fresh lemon balm and peppermint leaves), and always use aftershave. Cold water rinse, dash of witch hazel, and aftershave lotion in colder weather, aftershave splash in warmer months.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

best pre shave for me was Suave coconut conditioner, believe it or not.

11. sharpedge1188

sharpedge1188 New Member

Use both. I enjoy the proraso pre/post. Before and after my shaves

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The main thing is that you hydrate very thoroughly. A shower or simply work in water for at least 15 seconds. I work in and splash on hot water for maybe 20-25 seconds before applying the lather...

13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I swear by using aftershave. I am trying preshave oil Friday. We'll see how it goes :D.

14. Speed

Speed Member

I use both,homemade.Seems it helps me and helps prevents nicks and cuts.

15. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

Aftershave is more important than pre-shave as you need some alcohol and some moisturizer to help the skin return to its natural ph levels. Pre-shave oil is purely a personal preference but beard prep is critical to a good shave. The most important pre-shave attributes are to clean your shave skin surface of dirt and oils and then use a hot moist towel or a sufficient hot shower to allow the hair to exfoliate and absorb moisture. But, I do echo what others have said, "Experiment constantly until you find a process and the products that work well for you. I would also ask you to judge the quality of your shave a day after you shave. How close a shave did I really get and how good does my skin look will reveal themselves once the face has had time to recover a little. A guide to how well your shave went is to skip a day between shaves and take note of your beard length and the health of your skin. 48 hours should be sufficient to repair and restore your skin. If you can't fully recover within this time frame, you need to re-examine your shave process. A tip I recommend to others is to go to a professional barber and get an old fashioned straight razor shave. Take note of the skin prep, shave technique, and post shave recovery. If the shave is done properly you will now have a decent understanding of how your face should feel........Have fun!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The only way to tell. Is to try them.