Should I use this?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jwr3265, Aug 15, 2018.

1. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I have some other vintage soaps..Williams from the Glastonbury, CT MFG, and some old Colgate.

I don’t know much about this one....Colgate/Palmolive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So long as it doesn't smell rancid, it should be perfectly fine to use. You may want to scrape off any visible gunk tho and also give it a little warm water soak for a few minutes to rehydrate the top layer. If it smells rancid, I'd advise against using it.

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Is that mold.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I saw that too. To me it looks like soap scum. But OP will have to determine for himself. You never know, a good shave and a free dose of penicillin could be a good thing.

Keithmax and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

What he said

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

The soap is probably fine. Get it wet, clean off the foreign matter stuck to it until you see an all white soap puck.

I found a NIB puck, and have shaved with it. Not comparable to today's fancy artisan soaps but it made a functional lather.

7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Don't use it, send it to me for disposal. Just trying to help don't ya know

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I didn't have to think about it. I'd give a good splash of aftershave rinse and use it. That said I might be crazy. :shocked029:

Shadow Shaver and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It's your face.
    I prolly wouldn't use it for hand soap much less my face with the possibility of open skin abrasions.
    I'm just sayin', that looks nasty.

BigMark83 likes this.
  10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

That's what I'm saying. Mold isn't just surface deep, that crap grows roots. Chuck it.

brit likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's what I should have done with my PIFed Colgate,since I waited so long before trying it.

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

From the articles;

"Everyone assumes that soap is clean," says Jim Arbogast, a vice president of hygiene sciences and public health advancements at GOJO Industries, a company in Akron, Ohio, that makes Purell hand sanitizer and other products. "Any cosmetic product in the U.S. in a public setting or a home setting, it's going to have some normal bacteria that's not going to cause any illness."

"...bacteria have got quite a tough cell wall around them, so they're resistant, but it's the physical washing that gets rid of them."

So a scrubby brush exfoliating your skin, followed by (hopefully not too much) scraping with a razor blade, while your face is lathered in soap ought to leave you in better shape than when you started. I like alcohol based AS's for their antiseptic qualities, too.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  14. jwr3265

Let me rinse and soak and take another pic...

15. jwr3265

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looks good. Smells like old soap. Shiny and slick!

Will use tomorrow!

Primotenore, brit, RyX and 10 others like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There ya go! Vintage soaps may change color over time and collect dust or other particles that could change their apearance or scent. But cant argue with the performance of most vintage soaps as they seem to get better with age.

gorgo2, RyX, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Id use it for sure. Its so old that i doubt any bacteria was on it.

18. jwr3265

Bacteria! Shmacteria! I’m using it!!!

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm quite sure there is more bacteria in and around the average kitchen sink than on that puck of soap.

For that matter don't look at the bacteria in a pre-school class room. :sick007: That'll make you sick ... seriously!

Primotenore, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, use it as people have been saying here. The only way I know that soap can grow mold is if there is natural fruit or vegetable ingredients in it.