Should YMMV really be YMWV?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DLP, Jul 22, 2012.

1. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

We often see YMMV in a post describing a product (blades in particular). This morning as I was replying to a thread it occured to me that YMMV should really be YMWV (Your Mileage Will Vary). Every face has it's own unique characteristics that will mean that almost every product will in some way react differently on every face. Of course other variable include the hands wielding the products, the mind controlling the hands and the chemistry of the individual.

what do you think?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's a good point, but the universe is filled with the potential for an infinite number of possibilities. If we were to bring in parallel universe theory, then virtually all possibilities will inevitably play out, including your scenario of YMWV. So theoretically your probably right..and probably wrong..:think002:

DLP likes this.
  3. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

AH, the story of my life. so many probabilities and I usually choose the wrong one. :angry032: you would think that as hard as my head is that sooner or later that wall would crumble. ;)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think the law of averages weighs in on the side of YMMV. People tend to post more when they disagree with something, so the resulting threads get a bit skewed. Generally, most people like the same things other people do. Take the fatboy for instance. I would venture to guess that 90% of the people who have tried one, like it. of that 90%, perhaps 50% shave with it almost every time they shave. Who do we hear from the most? The 40% who are fatboy fanboys and the 10% who hate the fatboy. Another one would be Merkur blades. Generally believed to be rough shavers, there are a (very) few people out there who like them. I'm not one of them, but YMMV.;)

Smott likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You've gotta stop bandying about between universal variables..just pick a universe and stay with it. Remember Gary's 30 day rule..:shaver

Smott likes this.
  6. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

...or just YMV (your mileage varies). It won't just happen in the future. But also in the present. And now in the past. And now even further in the past. Oh gosh, there it goes...

"My mileage varied." That's a great custom title.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Or not. :D

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ever wonder why Yahoo! is called that? It stands for "You always have other options!" Not many people know that. Interesting fact of the day. Maybe it would be a better option than YMMV, but I happen to like YMMV.:)

Slipperyjoe likes this.