simple and easy question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Shayne Redfearn, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

please let me know if you think its okay for me to be using vegetable oil for a light oil on my blade while storing it....if not...what household oil can i use..i really dont think i should have to buy oil from a razor company

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Mineral oil will work, although there may be better oils out there. Most of us probably have some mineral oil laying around though and that will work for you.

3. Shayne Redfearn

but is vegetable oil okay for right now seeing as though i dont have any mineral oil around?

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I think you could run into a rancidity problem with veg oil??? Mineral oil would be a better choice I think.

5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use vegetable oil especially when you can purchase some ballistol oil any good gun shop will sell it.

Regards Jamie

CyanideMetal, GDCarrington and Hanzo like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with Jeff and Jamie. Seems to me vegetable oil would go rotten, rancid, spoil, whatever word you want to use for, "it will muck up your razor."

Jamie Mahoney likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I use WD-40 have for years and have never had a problem :) and yep it is pretty darn cheap :p

GDCarrington and Jamie Mahoney like this.
  8. Shayne Redfearn

wow, really? I thought that would be the worst thing for it

9. Jamie Mahoney

WD 40 is non toxic, i would have no problem using it, it also repels moisture perfect really, nice smell as well.

What doesWD-40contain?

While the ingredients inWD-40are secret, we can tell you whatWD-40does NOT contain.WD-40does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Jamie

10. Mackie

Mackie Member

However it is a petroleum product.

11. Jamie Mahoney

Vaseline is a petroleum based product, they use it on babies? there are many safe petroleum based products prescribed by Doctors everday, i'm not quite sure what you mean?

Jamie.

madmedic and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Mackie

Mackie Member

It containes petroleum distillates. Getting it on the face may not be safe for everyone.

13. Jamie Mahoney

Same goes for peanuts, they can kill certain people, but for the vast majority they a perfectly safe, it's a fact a miniscule number of people are just allergic to almost anything, and if WD40 was in any way armful in any way believe me it would have a warning symbol, it doesn't but products that contain peanuts do, so on that note you would say Peanuts are far more dangerous than WD 40, I do love my penut butter.

Jamie.

madmedic and GDCarrington like this.
  14. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

For what it's worth......I use GT85 . I use it by the carton load on the Motorbike. Similar to WD40......but contains PTFE. Anyone see that as a problem?

15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    To point out the painfully obvious,

If you don't rinse your blade under hot water before starting your shave I have zero sympathy for you... :)
    Doesn't matter much what you use it probably won't be good to introduce it into your bloodstream JMHO

I have this theory about shaving steel, take it for what it's worth,
    "If I don't at least feel comfortable eating off the razor, I sure don't feel comfortable doing micro surgery with it"

memoryleak and GDCarrington like this.
  16. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

That is probably the definifitive answer!

17. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

If you don't rinse your blade under hot water before starting your shave I have zero sympathy for you... :)
    Doesn't matter much what you use it probably won't be good to introduce it into your bloodstream JMHO

:happy088:

18. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I have been using baby oil. Haven't had any problems

19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If you're going to store them for a long period of time I would watch what I used so it wouldn't interact with the non ferrous parts of the razor. You might want to check on lubricants used for storing firearms.