Simpson shave brushes..can anyone explain?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by David09, Apr 23, 2019.

1. David09

David09 Active Member

Pomo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Have you had conversations with Mark at Simpson? That's info we could use.

RyX and brit like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

@David09 , whatever you decide to do, good luck, and I hope you eventually get a good badger without a shedding problem.

brit likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This maybe a silly question and not to insult anyones intelligence, but when you soak your Simpson do you soak the whole thing or just the first two inches of the bristles?

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

just the bristles..

Enrico likes this.
  6. David09

David09 Active Member

Thanks. I have a number of badgers that don’t shed. Just not the brand in question.
    My Edwin Jager is lovely.

Hembree, BigMark83 and brit like this.
  7. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I've had about 10 Simpson brushes over the years and can't say any had a shedding issue however, major QC issues were experienced!
    From wonky knots to "best" badger knots that were definitely "pure" badger!!

I sold all but the Commodore X2, which is my favorite Simpson brush and also has the perfect sample of "best" grade hair.

Hembree and brit like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

What I was trying to imply and @PLANofMAN stated is that Simpsons are a traditionally made brush (been around 100 years) not intended a full on soaking. A full on soaking will destroy the wheat paste glue used. They need to have their bristles soaked, but only about 2 inches (standing bristles down) for a few minutes (no more than five), after which no more added benefits come from soaking. Other brush can handle full submersion soaking due that they use different glues.

I have restored many brushes and have seen the ill effects of over soaking (loose knots, severe shedding and major cracks).

This was not intended to pick on you, but only educate. :)

9. David09

David09 Active Member

Thank you. I didn’t take your comments in a derogatory manner. New information for me is great. Thanks for your input.

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have a couple Simpson brushs and I haven't had any troubles with hair loss. Sorry to hear about your exper

Hembree, David09 and brit like this.
  11. David09

David09 Active Member

If anyone wants to see complaints about shedding by Simpson brushes, go look at the reviews on Fendrihan Canada. Maybe that long flight across the Atlantic has some kind of derogatory effect.