Simpson Tulip T2

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michael, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Got this from Em yesterday and used it this morning. Not bad. Certainly not a Kent; but not really bad. Very soft, very dense, very small bloom, makes tons of excellent lather (JoAnna's Rose soap), but no more or better than any other brush I own, including a $35 BBB. I LOVE the socket (both the look and feel) - and the 2-band knot!!

It's actually a lot like my Rooney...small, soft, dense and makes loads of lather - but like the Rooney, it doesn't want to let me have any! Unless I just spread it on like I'm frosting a cake. As soon as I do anything resembling a circular motion, and/or apply any pressure at all, the lather goes right back into the brush and I see more face than cream.

I rarely use the Rooney because of this. I haven't really tried very hard with it though, as it was "only" a $50 brush (made for The Gentleman's Shop by Rooney). The Tulip was just a bit more than that, so I will try harder. Simpsons have been making brushes for a while now and they're obviously quite popular. So it stands to reason that other people do not have this problem - has to be my technique. Any suggestions from you Simpson or Rooney aficionados out there would be more than welcome!!

I WANT to like it! Really I do! And man, it does look NICE!! Guess I'll just have to practice more. :confused:

Anyway...sure is purty!!

Attached Files:

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

I know that Simpson prefer that their brushes be used with a painting-type stroke, but like you, I use a circular motion. But once I have that initial cushion, then I use a painting-type stroke. By the third pass, I am wringing out the brush to get to the really hydrated stuff and just leave it in the scuttle and then put the brush back in the scuttle.

Just curious Michael, because I know that eventually a Tulip will be in the collection, would you have preferred the 3 instead of the 2 since you likened it to the Wee?

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks, Johnnie. I certainly intend to keep at it. I've only used it once, after all.

As for the sizing, I don't know if a T3 is really a significantly larger brush. ..at the business end anyway. The overall height is only 3/16" taller (per Em's web site). From the pic (see link below), it appears that the socket of the 3 is quite a bit larger though and I'm happy with the socket of the T2.

Here's the pic Austin so kindly uploaded for me, http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=449
    it shows the T2, T3 and last year's B&B. I have that one as well and I wanted to compare sizes. The knot on the T3 is somewhat larger, but not all that much. The socket is quite a bit different though.

Probably the reason the T2 looked so small to me has to do with the other brushes I own. Compared to those, the T2 is "Wee"! I consider the BLK4 a small brush...and just look at it next to the T2! :D

I think that if I can get past the "how-do-I-get-the-lather-on-my-face" problem, I'll be happy with the T2. Mostly because the socket size is just about perfect - for my hand anyway. YMMV, as always. Plus, it just LOOKS so cool!! :D

Here's my collection so you can see why the T2 looked so small out of the box... Hopefully, these photos will help you decide.

Attached Files:

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

One other thing, Johnnie...if you look at the EJ Medium Silvertip, frt row above, the socket is just too small - for me anyway! It was my first brush and it's a very nice one. But if that's a Medium - I'd hate to see the Small!! To me, (socket) size, umm, matters. :D

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Report...Day 2

MUCH better today!! Really not sure what I did differently, but today, even with a circular, scrubbing application, the lather stayed on my face, not in the brush. With a brush this size, it's a bit easier to control where it goes too.

Shave was awesome. Brush is very comfortable in the hand and the feel on my face is quite nice. Very soft, but firm enough so that I can scrub if I want without even a HINT of scratchy. Maybe yesterday's lather mix just wasn't up to snuff.

I think tomorrow I'll dust off the Rooney and have another go at that one!

Oh, I did lose one hair today...but it IS a Simpson after all. :rolleyes: Still, other than the C&E BBB, I've never lost one before. Not one!

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Probably just needed some "Breaking-in" ;)

Enjoy!

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Let it break in before you start spazzing ;P

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

There's a break in period with Simpson? Haven't need one with any of my others. I think I just screwed up my lather mix. But you have a point on the other.

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I had to break in my C&E BBB. Wasn't as good as it is now until about a week in.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

A Beautiful brush Michael :drool:drool This is another one on my short list....The Chubby1 I have seems to lather great in a circular motion..I used mine for about 12 days straight though, so I may have not noticed the break in as much...I think I sometimes finish with a few painting strokes to get the extra lather on the sides of the brush..

Please keep us posted on this one, very nice brush :D

11. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

She's a beauty all right, I have found the Simpson's have a long break in period and get better and better. Enjoy!

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+1 Jim,

My T2 just keeps getting better and better.

13. Austin

Austin Member

Agreed.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Tulip T2 Status report...

I love this brush!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used it every day since I got it (7 days now) and it is a GREAT brush! Haven't tried creams yet, just soaps - and mostly TSD at that. Oh, except one day with TSD Bay Rum superlather. Needed a bigger bowl for that one! I guess it required a break in period after all...ONE DAY! :D

The brush has plenty of backbone so you can scrub if you want. Yet it's VERY soft and comfortable. Zero scratchiness. Makes awesome lather too.

I did lose one hair on day one or two, but none since. I hear that that doesn't necessarily mean I'm out of the woods, but it's a good sign. (Sure wish that subject didn't always come up when discussing Simpson!!)

Was delighted with Emily, her service and her brush. Will definitely buy from her again! (no, no kickbacks - just happy with Em's Place).

15. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Simpson > Kent

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Let's not get carried away here.

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, it's been two weeks since I got the Tulip so I thought I'd report. This is an awesome brush! I've used it every day but two since I got it. Other than Day 1 (when I think I was suffering from Kent withdrawal), I have nothing but good things to say about the T2.

In fact, my mom, who never knows what to get me for Christmas, told me yesterday that what SHE wanted for Christmas was to know what I wanted! Under that kind of pressure, I gave her Emily's toll free number. :D I suggested a PJ2, Chubby 2 or Duke 3, all in Best. We shall see what (Mrs.) Santa brings.

So far, so good with the hair loss. One on Day 2, nothing since then. For those of you who have had problems, does that mean I can relax? Or does it take awhile before you know if you have a shedder?

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Well ya know my story. I'm 2 weeks ahead of you. Sometimes sheds, sometimes doesn't. A hair or 2 doesn't bother me but having several clog my razor is annoying. We'll see the first of the year. A guy named "Fergie" once told me: "For that price they should grow hair". :D I really do love the brush though!

19. zippersmith

zippersmith New Member

I really LOVE the look of the Tulip 2.
    I hope to get one soon.
    Thank you for your normal-guy, on-the-court review.
    And congrats on the great brush.

20. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Member

I just got a new Tulip too and I have to say that so far I'm really lovin' this brush. Not one hair lost yet after 4 test lathers, a shampoo and 2 actual shaves. Keeping my fingers crossed...

The finest bristle is not as scrubby as I expected, but still nice and firm. It definitely has a different feel from the Rooney 3/1 and Shavemac 429. If it keeps going on it's non-shedding way I may consider a PJ next year.