Simpson's Manchurian

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jay_gatz, Aug 11, 2022.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

So there are a few different models of the Simpson Manchurian available on their website. I currently have a Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 in Super Badger, a Wee Scot, Commodore XL in Best, Case in Best, Berkeley in Best. I also have the Saponificio Varesino in Manchurian (rumored to be a Simpsons knot), but who really knows. The SV brush is actually fantastic.

I would like to compare/try a Simpson's Manchurian, just out of curiosity, and TBH, the Manchurian Simpsons have some really handsome handles. I almost grabbed a Chubby 2 (3's are just really big for me, the SV is probably similar). Then the thought occurred to me, should I limit it to the Chubby? Would one of the following in Manchurian be a better choice? Is the difference marginal enough that the Chubby's I already have in Super I won't notice much difference?

Anyone with greater knowledge and opinions on these brushes in Manchurian? I've never tried any of these brushes regardless of hair grade.

Special Edition Colonel X2L Manchurian
    Special Edition Classic 1 Manchurian
    Captain 2 Manchurian
    Special Edition Tulip 3 Manchurian
    Special Edition M6 Manchurian
    M7 Manchurian Badger
    The Rover Manchurian
    Special Edition 58 Manchurian
    Special Edition 59 Manchurian
    Special Edition Emperor 3 Manchurian
    Polo 10 Manchurian
    Special Edition Polo 12 Manchurian
    Duke 3 Manchurian
    Eagle 3 Manchurian
    Polo 14 Manchurian

I tend to like brushes with a shorter loft knot, densely packed. Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome and appreciated.

I have posted this on multiple shave forums, and I am leaning towards the Colonel X2l.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  2. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Prolly been asked but what exactly is a true Manchurian knot? Thanks

brit, PLANofMAN and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Duke and Chubby are the only two types you should consider, given your preferences. Those are the only two styles Simpson's makes that are 'overstuffed.' More densely packed than their regular brushes. I am less familiar with thier loft heights, so the Colonel XL2 might be right up your alley.
    Short answer, it's Simpson's Extra Super badger.

High Mountain White & Manchurian. Sometimes called other names as well- Genuine White, Upland White, etc. These are generally limited edition brushes with magical powers and inflated price tags. In actuality, these are mostly two band brushes with different coloration than the other brushes that particular manufacturer sells. Marketing and hype are these brush's main features. How the knot is formed and the density of the hair mostly determine the face feel of a badger knot, not the coloring of the hair.

Chinese knot manufacturers have decided that High Mountain White refers to three band brushes, and Manchurian is the two-band varient. The other names have mostly fallen by the wayside.

A "true" High Mountain White or Manchurian badger brush will be made from a small section of hairs on the neck of the European Badger (Meles Meles). However, some brushes marketed as "High Mountain brushes" come from the pelt of a hog badger, rather than the more common European badger. Hog badger hairs are about 1.5 times thicker than European badger hairs, giving them a bit more backbone. Does it make a difference in the quality? Nope. It shouldn't make a difference in price either, as the knots are sourced from China, and the cost is about the same as their silvertip counterparts. True High Mountain White hair is more expensive, due to the small area of pelt it can be collected from.

The Origin of the "High Mountain" name.

"Haute Montagne" ("High Mountain" in French), is a mark used by Plisson. They used it on the highest quality brushes. If you prefer short lofts and dense knots, you may want to avoid Plisson.

The general consensus seems to be that the hair used in the clear acrylic handled brushes in the 1980's are the finest examples of Plisson's High Mountain hair to date.

The Origin of the "Manchurian" name.

When Charles Roberts first offered these brushes, that were made exclusively for Enchante (as they were, at the time, one of the highest volume Simpson retail outlets in N. America) they were labeled 'Extra Super'. However, Charles was trumpeting that this was extra special rare badger bristle (which it may well have been) that came out of the colder climate of Manchuria. On the original forum some of us started to refer to them as 'Manchurians' and CR quickly took the nudge and told David Carter he wanted subsequent specimens to be actually labeled that way; 'Manchurian badger'. The rest as they say, "is history."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Pedigree, Redrock and brit like this.
  4. jay_gatz

I really wanted the faux Jade Handle, and the only ones that were available are the Colonel X2L, and Chubby 3. I had a Chubby 3 in Super, and it's nice, but huge. Chubby 2 and the SV WMW brushes are at the top end of what I like. I also have a Chubby 1 in super, that hits a sweet spot in size for me. Chubby 1 Knot is 22x46, Colonel X2L is 21x45, so I based it primarily on those criteria. I hope I will like the brush, so we will see.

PLANofMAN and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. jay_gatz

Ok, so just finished the shave of the evening. Went with Tabac. First shave with the Manchurian. So first the photos:

Initial lather off the puck of Tabac:

IMG_2022.jpg

Here is a shot after the first pass of building lather on the face. You can see the lather has gotten a bit more solid, with a more yogurt like consistency. I actually added a touch of water for the second pass for a hint more slickness, which helped the second pass.

IMG_2023.jpg

Post Rinse and Bloom Shot:

IMG_2024.jpg

I do not believe the Colonel is typically considered an over stuffed brush, but the backbone exhibited was pretty much off the charts. The tips were not Gel like in any way. There was alot of scritch on this first shave, and we will see if that subsides a bit.

Overall for a first shave I am thoroughly impressed. I cannot give a reference to compare it to as it is different than any other brush I have used to date. It is certainly not a pillowy luxurious experience. On the other hand, it created the lather from Tabac that is the stuff of legend from the old days. I have never gotten as creamy a lather from Tabac as I did tonight, so that alone will be worth soldiering on with this brush. I just went and brushed it with the top of my hand and drew it across my face, and it did not seem as scritchy as the first use, so I am anxious to see how it feels with tomorrows shave. This may be my first badger that actually requires some breaking in.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Is that Silvertip or Best? Looks like Best, which would make it a two-band badger brush. You'll get more scritch and backbone from those, which I personally prefer.

Beautiful brush, either way.

brit likes this.
  7. jay_gatz

Actually, it's Manchurian. I wanted to try it, and it's much different than any other knot I have. Lot's of backbone!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I know it's a Manchurian. It's like if I asked if a car was a Charger or Challenger, and the person replied, "It's a Dodge." :p

Looks like "Best" badger to me. I'm pretty sure they make Manchurian knots from a different species of badger than meles meles, but I've never been able to confirm it.

brit likes this.
  9. jay_gatz

Man, now you have me really confused. I thought there was only one Manchurian? I just clicked on the Manchurian link on the Simpsons website, and wanted a jade handle. Only other option was a CH3, which is typically too big a knot for me. It was this one:

https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.c...ition-colonel-X2L-manchurian-badger-faux-jade

And apparently they have sold quite a few of the LE's since I was last on, as the Jade Chubby is gone, as well as the bright yellow one.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Another listing has "Manchurian High Mountain White Badger."
    https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.c...k-friday-sale-m7-manchurian-badger-faux-ruby/

I'm not sure what to think when a company starts pushing all of the online propaganda. Wow. Just...wow.

Edit: full text, in case the link gets updated down the road. "This M7 is turned using our stunning Limited Edition faux Ruby rod & densely filled with our uniquely sourced Manchurian High Mountain White Badger."

brit likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Your brush is definitely a two-band brush, going by the website pictures.

brit likes this.
  12. jay_gatz

So two band Manchurian? Or two band Manchurian super happy fun time hour?;)

brit likes this.
  13. jay_gatz

The bug has really set in with this knot:

IMG_2720[1].jpg IMG_2721[1].jpg IMG_2722[1].jpg IMG_2723[1].jpg IMG_2724[1].jpg

PLANofMAN, Enrico and Pedigree like this.
  14. jay_gatz

So I received my Chubby 2 with Copper Ice Handle, I rally like the different look at different angles:

IMG_2790.jpg IMG_2791.jpg IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2794.jpg

Test lather with MWF:

IMG_2795.jpg

Bloom, and resting with his stablemates:

IMG_2796.jpg IMG_2797.jpg

Enrico, Pedigree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

16. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

I've never tried a Manchurian knot but I'd highly recommend the Duke 3. I have on in best.

Enrico likes this.
  17. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

I'll also recommend a chubby as well. Depending on whether you prefer a thicker grip with a "wall of badger density and short loft" or a similar but thinner grip with less density but proportionally a short loft(duke).

Enrico likes this.