Simpsons Synthetic

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Cutthroat_trout, Aug 19, 2022.

1. What are your thoughts on synthetic brushes? I just ordered a Chubby2 synthetic for myself and a Trafalgar for Christmas gifts.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I have the T2 and T3 brushes and love them! No experience with the Chubby 2 synthetic.

3. Outstanding!

4. brit

brit in a box

simpson sunspot chubby 2 synthetic
    very nice,

20220610_173821_edited_edited.jpg

5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

The T2 has just about replaced all the other brushes in my small collection of a dozen or so badgers, boars and horse.

I also have the T1, which I use for travel, and the T3, which I don't really use as the T2 is the goldilocks size for me.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. CCS

CCS New Member

I recently bought a Simpson's Trafalgar T2 as it seems to be a popular synth model. As a long time badger and boar user, I've been somewhat dismissive of synthetic knot brushes. I was not impressed with the T2 but Simpson's instructs owners to paint lather rather than swirl/scrub it in. I also have a no-name cheap Chinese wood handle synthetic brush. Very soft, lather machine (so is the T2) and it splays. What's great about synthetic brushes is how quick they are ready to use (no soaking required) and how quickly they dry out. That said, I prefer the more traditional badger and boar brushes I own.

7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I love my T3. It does everything I want it to do.

Cutthroat_trout likes this.
  8. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

I personally don't love any of Simpson's synthetics, but if I had to choose, I'd take the T2 over the chubby any day regardless of price, and about a dozen other synthetics over the T2... most of which cost $7 to $15 dollars. I do not understand the Simpson craze and sometimes wonder how much price and the Simpson name subconsciously influences how people perceive a brushes performance, but YMMV, etc.

Price and competition aside though... the T2 is serviceable brush that should last a good long time

9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have both a T2 and a CH2. I think differently than one or two responses on here. I think the CH2 knot is a high quality synthetic and I think the T2 (Sovereign) is a notch or two below it. I also think the T2 is a little short lofted and would probably prefer the T3. Haven’t tried one. For the same $, I much prefer a SynBad or a 2Bed from APShave.
    I don’t really care for either handle, to be honest. I bashed out the T2 into my own handle and am thinking the only reason I haven’t done the same to the CH2 is because of what the cost of the brush was. Will probably still do it someday…I’d like the chubby handle to be a bit bigger.

SterFry and brit like this.
  10. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Agreed, SynBads and 2beds are fantastic knots both.

jtspartan likes this.