singing praises for pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Mitch, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

I'm not a oil person but I do use preshave creams,mostly Proraso PrePost,I use that just about everyday,or Feather Preshave.I just ordered TSD ISZ Preshave can't wait to try that :D

2. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Since upgrading my soaps and blades, and face lathering more, I do find I use pre-shave oil much less. Prior, when I was using lesser soaps, blades, and technique, it was extremely helpful to my neck. Currently I use it mostly in the winter to offset dry skin effects.

Llyr likes this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I just stumbled upon this thread. Never used oil yet. I'll try tomorrow (if I don't forget - which I do a lot!) :D

Llyr likes this.
  4. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Must have been a good night of drinking if you stumbled home with out meaning too:rofl:

Llyr, macaronus and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

As far as pre-oil go I only used it for the first time a few shaves ago as extra prep for my first go with a shavette.
    There were to many varibles in that shave to tell if it made a diffrence.

My normal routine is the same as Mitch with porasso pre in place of oil and an extra step of pre under the lather.
    When using oil I replace the porasso with oil. The effects seems similar , the oil a little less vicus and sticks around longer so generialy only a 1st and 3rd pass application are needed not all 3 like the pre balm I use.

Further tests on this method will be taken on my shaving journy :).

Llyr likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:happy097:

Llyr likes this.
  7. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

I face lather and find the pre-shave oils I have tried to substantially reduce the quality of the lather I can build, especially for soaps. I did not like them at all, but others swear by them.

Llyr and IAmTheJody like this.