Single Edge ID needed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scottydoint, Mar 3, 2009.

1. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I am looking for info on this set. It is from France.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All I can say is that it is georgeous.

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

1902-1904. could take either SE or wedge blades.

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Thanks Dave. Any idea of value? I haven't cleaned it up, so that is just tarnish.

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

cased.......hmm...........$200 maybe??

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I'll give you $10. ;)

7. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Thanks Dave. That is quite the surprise for me. I thought I had paid a lot for it:cool:

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

purchase and book value can sometimes vary. a lot. i got a star razor 20 years older than yours for $12 and it turned out to be worth $100 w/o tin.

9. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

This is good news. It made me buy a super nice #66 corination set a few minutes ago for an insane price. I'll be listing the SE on ebay soon.

Dave, if you were to own this set and wanted to get the most $ that you think you could get on ebay, what you list it for?

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

its hard to say. i saw an elite gem jr. go for less than $40 the other day, when the last time it was at auction it went for close to $300.

id clean it up real good and (in my perfect world) take really good pictures. list as much info as you can get. make it sound like you found atlantis.

seeing the fluxtuations that have been ebay, set a reserve of about $90 and a BIN of around $200 (give or take depending on how well you can clean it up.).

11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

What is the second implement/handle holding the blade? Is that for installing the blade in the razor head or str8 shaving your beagle? ? ?:confused:

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

its the second half of the handle. the razor head is unscrewed form the handle, a stropping attachment is inserted into the base and you then insert the blade.

and then you strop.

13. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Got it! Ya take a right past the tree, drive a block by the dawg, count 10 and turn right, then.... I'm not sure I quite follow the directions - but thnx!!

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

[​IMG]

ok. see the part lying horizontal? (from left) stropping attachment, blade IN stropping attachment, lower part of handle. the stropping attachment inserts into the base of the second piece of handle (which is hollow). see the round end? that screws into the hollow portion of the handle piece thats ALREADY screwed into the razor head. for the full stropping handle like i was talking about at this point all you would do is unscrew the razor head and now youre on the trolley ;)

15. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. I really didn't see what you meant the last time.

But, at times I am as thick as a quality English shave cream! And I ain't quite there yet on this one.

So, you strop it like a straight razor on a leather barber type of strop?? That certainly makes sense as that is what was around and these follow closely on the heels of the general use of the straight razor. But I am not sure. I am used to safety razors having a strop you could run through the unit like a Valet (which are pretty cool too). But have not seen other types of systems.

Thnx for the patience SirIrving - and I do appreciate everything I learn off you guys.

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

no problem :)

and yes you do. later on automatic stroppers were made to cope with this (you can see me using one in one of my videos.), and made it much easier and faster. the valet WAS the automatic stropper and razor combined.