Single Edge Razor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Edwin Jagger Loyalist, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Hey guys,

I just saw the review for the Rocnel SE that takes half blades and got interested in that type of razor. Does anyone know of any other razors that aren't shavettes that take half blades?

Keithmax, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

This sounds like a question @Darkbulb could answer, with splendid photos.
    ;)

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  3. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I asked the same thing recently. Spidey9 is extremely knowledgeable on SE razors and he informed me about the Rocnel P, of which you're already aware. I don't think any other razor of this type exists.

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the Beluga, but it hasn't been released yet.

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Rocnel is a Current One Off SE Razor that Uses 1/2 a DE Blade..There was a Vintage German One Years Ago that I Cant Recall at the Moment..To Me 1/2 a DE Blade SE Design Does Away with the Whole Purpose of an SE Shaving System that has the Benefit of More Rigid Blades Compared to a DE Shaving System..There is an Array of Vintage SEs & Injectors & Current SEs that Take a Modern Feather SE Blade..:D

See the Injector & SE Party Thread..This Thread is Very Active & the Guys are All Using Vintage & Current SEs that are Getting Released as We Speak..This is Probably the Most Active SE Thread You will Find Anywhere at the Moment..The Guys will Answer any Question's You May Have..:happy088:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/page-615

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sorry, drawing a blank. All I can think of is Rocnel, Beluga and that Kickstarter that used 2-3 half-DE blades but can't remember their name.

Karl G, RyX and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

But, I guess this might count: How to use half DE blades in a 1912
    Apparently, and I thought @Billyfergie would love this, :) - there is little to no difference when using a GEM vs a half-DE blade this way.
    You are basically creating a re-usable holder for half DE blades.
    Fun stuff. Love the 144p video :)

Karl G, Redfisher, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Well..Lets be Honest Mr Viking..Its Still an SE Blade Design he is Using..Ingenious I May Add..:shocked003:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G and RyX like this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol yeah. I'd say it just some good fun if you got an hour to kill and want to try something different one evening :)

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Karl G, riverrun and RyX like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh and the upcoming Leaf razor takes half DE blades

Karl G and RyX like this.
  12. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

The Rocnel P is the only currently available razor that I'm aware of that takes 1/2 DE blades.

The Shake Sharp and the Golf 71 are vintage single edge razors that take a whole DE blade and present one edge. The Golf 71 is cheaply made and interesting only from a collector/historian perspective, but the Shake Sharp is well made and an excellent shaver. However, finding one in good shape at a reasonable price can be a challenge.

[​IMG]

Shake Sharp

--Bob

13. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Try a Gem G-bar; Gem Micromatic bullet tip or an Ever Ready Streamline. Best SE shaves - EVER! I love em.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

All right! this looks like the shizzle! I gotta save this and give it a try one of these days!

15. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

It wasn't too difficult. I used super glue to stick the two blades together. I first used a glue stick to cover the parts of the blade I didn't want to be covered with super glue with bits of paper (extending outside the blades and later easily removed). Inserting the half DE blade is a bit fiddly. The space between the blade stops of my 1912 is 34.2mm, while the cutting edge of the DE blade is 36.3mm (approximately). That means the half DE blades has only a millimetre each side to sit on the blade stops. I also used a used, blunted injector blade as a shim for the holder. The shave was then very smooth and close. I'll try and use an injector blade in the holder, maybe a Twin blade.. should be interesting...

Darkbulb and RyX like this.