Single Malt Scotch

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Okay, all you discerning gents (and ladies, for that matter). A question to the assembly:

I am dying to try a single malt scotch, and haven't a clue where to start. I usually drink Irish whiskey (Bushmill's, Jameson's), so I am a total newbie when it comes to scotch. So where to begin? I have read up on some of the different varieties and regions in which they are produced, but I want to start slow and get my money's worth, since I won't be drinking it that often (and I'll be the only one drinking it, as many of my friends don't drink, and my wife prefers wine or gin and tonic.)

Opinions??

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Blair:

You are opening a big can here, my friend :D
    Scotch is a many splendid thing and there are MANY differences between
    I will also say that you can spend a paycheck on a bottle, so beware.
    Personally, I like smoke and peat in my whisky so I will recommend:

Laphroig
    Johnnie Walker BLACK
    Chivas Regal 18 year old
    Dewar's 12 year old

Also, to start with you may not want to spend a fortune so here are a cuppa bargain blends I like:
    Famous Grouse
    Grants

Yes, I realize most of my recommendations are BLENDS, but I find single malts, in general, to be overpriced and not worthy of their sticker price.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  3. jfl

jfl New Member

If there's a blended Scotch you like, try a single malt from the same company or family. I hear Cardhu is similar to Johnnie Walker and Glen Ord is used in Dewar's.

You can gather additional information from: scotchwhisky.net.

You might be able to sample some on an airplane for 5 bucks a pop.

Jim

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I discovered something new the other day and will be headed back to pick up another bottle.

Aberfeldy 12 yr old.

Made by Dewars. I never would have thought to try this one, never heard anyone mention it. The stuff is nice and smooth with honey like finish. My friends I have let try it all loved it. Picked up for $32.99 locally, a steal for an enjoyable single malt.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  5. Martlet

Martlet New Member

A big can indeed. It really depends on what you prefer. I also like the smoke/peat of Islay malts, however I'd never touch a drop of Johnnie Walker, chivas, or Dewars.

If you want a true peat, I believe the only way to go is Ardbeg. Any year.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Well.
    Welcome to a SMS Snob !! ;)
    Glad you found us....Enjoy your stay !

Ardbeg is definately on my short list to try :D
    Whaddaya think of the Compass Box offerings ?

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Thankfully, this is one AD I can avoid. :D I enjoy a sip now and then and if you gave me some I would not turn it down but, I much prefer wines and ports.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Martlet, thanks for the advice, and welcome to The Shave Den!

Rich, while I was looking (but not buying, as I got too confused) at SMS, I picked up a bottle of Sandeman Ruby port. Excellent stuff.

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Rick, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I know how to open 'em up!! ;)

10. Martlet

Martlet New Member

Oh great. I just realized that was my first post. Nothing like getting off on the wrong foot. ::ban

I've yet to try anything from Compass Box. I do have a desire to give their Eleuthera vatted malt a try.

Ardbeg, however, is easily my favorite.

I've also been known to partake in Famous Grouse on occasion, though I'll deny that if anyone repeats it. Not because it's a great whiskey (although I believe it to be the better than the price range it falls into, I prefer it over chivas all day), but because of it's history in literature. I suppose that makes me a bigger snob than I originally suspected.

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The Macallan.

12. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

There are a lot of great options but before you spend any money on a bottle I would find a really good bar and buy a shot of a few different Scotches it might cost around 20 to 30 dollars but it will save you in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximumsmoke, Dansco and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Also Rick is right especially on the Black label it's a blend but it's really good for the price in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Quite a thread bump! 2007 to 2017... if it doesn't taste smoky, it isn't scotch... ;)

JohnDB, Bama Samurai and richgem like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Lagavulin for my money also Oban and Jura Prophecy.

JohnDB, jeraldgordon and jmudrick like this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I would say start with some of the bestsellers as a benchmark.
    upload_2017-4-25_8-52-59.png

But what do I know, I prefer bourbon.

Dzia Dzia and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I drink that too. Equal opportunity I say.

Erik Redd likes this.
  18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Just get Ardbeg 10 Year Old Single Malt and then you can thank me later :p.......................Please trust me ;)

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like the Ardbeg but the Talisker 10 is my goto ten year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

20. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I'm with you Eric. Except my poison is single barrel rum. When I drank scotch it was Glenlevit. But what do I know. I'm entitled to whine.
    ... Don

Erik Redd likes this.