Single-ring - restore or not?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Epimetheus, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Some antiques are not restored because they lose value. The value of a generic Gillette single ring is not much, but would you have it re-plated or not?

Morman Bridge likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

if you like the razor, but would like to see it shiny, why not.
    if your happy with it the way it is, that's good also.
    my plan it to send mine in. I'm thinking rhodium, brighter than silver and won't tarnish.
    it's really up to you and what you want.

3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Most of my single rings need a replate, but they are last on the list to get replated. I've got a bunch of gold plated razors in line ahead of them.
    The Single Rings look elegant whether they are freshly plated or not. Especially the ones with cases. They exude class. I just polish them with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish, and they look great.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

If it made me happy I would definitely replate it.:happy088:

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you have the money, and YOU want to, go for it.

Oh,to answer your question, no. But that's me.

Epimetheus and Morman Bridge like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    All good advice.:signs011:
    zenablers.PNG

7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I tumbled mine in my vibratory media tumbler a while back. It was as shiny as I needed it to be. You just gotta ask yourself if the 50-80 bucks is worth it to you. You won't get the money back out of it. It'll be for your amusement.

8. Epimetheus

Yes, you are enablers. There is a real co-dependence thing going on here. The single ring is the first razor I got simply as a collector's item. It is a long, slippery slope and you duck-taped me onto a luge and gave it a good kick.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Are you getting it to collect or to enjoy? If it's to enjoy - replate to your heart's content!

10. Epimetheus

To enjoy. Unless it has a really low serial number (it has not arrived yet) it is one of many antique units. Too bad my father in law is out of the jewelry business. I worked there and we rhodium plated many things. Al was a great guy.

It may sound really fancy, working around precious metals and fancy stones of (mumble) value. To us it was just metal and pretty rocks that the customer owned. The important thing to both of us was our family.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That's a nice memory. :happy088::happy088:

If you want to replate, I suggest you contact Chris Evatt at RazorPlate. I know he's fairly backlogged, but he'll do a wonderful job. It'll be worth the wait. Check out his website: www.razorplate.com

12. Jvanis

Jvanis Active Member

As others said, collect or use? Refinishing comes in different stages. Cleaning up an old rubberset 400 should not take away any value as it is more refinishing or restoring. When you look at relating that is adding something new not just cleaning up.

I am drawn to Shiney things though! Go for it

13. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Nope!