Single Ring Score - How to remove rust?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jack19, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Jack19

Jack19 Member

The Post Office delivered three single rings this morning. Left to right, 1906, 1920, 1919.

The '19 and '20 are fairly straight up cleaning and tarnish removal jobs, but the '06 has rust under the cap.
    IMG_5897.JPG

Have read that lemon juice and salt will help remove it, is that the best way?

2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

i haven't cleaned up a single ring yet... following the standards brush, soak, scrubbing bubbles....... (the following may stir up some controversy) but I've been ultrasonically cleaning with dawn and water first, then if necessary citric acid (lemme shine) not for use with silver or gold plating.. followed by vibratory tumbler...... have you louped it may not be rust, but some other corrosion, patina or other process going on. i don't think single rings had ferrous material in them. BTW great score!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    brit likes this.
  3. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

So, I have kind of a dumb question. I know they are old, but, I don't understand what a single ring is, or any other kind of ring for that matter. Or what it means. Thanks for any info.

4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Double ring was the original Gillette razor. Single ring was the second version. The rings were just part of the design at the top of the handle. Here's a picture:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/single-ring-or-double-ring.45279/#post-840692

CrustyCat and Leclec13 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Clean it with silver polish. Here is my double ring and single ring.

double_ring_23.jpg

Jack19, CrustyCat and Leclec13 like this.
  6. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Great! Thanks for the pics, now I understand. Can these older type razors take the newer DE blades?

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Yes, they do.

CrustyCat likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Use the technique described as "riding the cap." Raise the handle a bit until the blade is off the skin. Then, lower it until it just engages the skin. Use a light touch. These razors can be aggressive, but this technique has tamed many an aggressive razor for me.

If you can find some Wade & Butcher curved blades, that is an experience not to be forgotten.

The Wade & Butcher blades look like original Gillette three hole blades except that they are curved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fit all safety razors in which the blade has to be curved. The blades you have been waiting for -- for your razor. Highest grade steel -- three times as thick -- assuring durability, temper, hardness and keenness. Curved -- They won't crack when clamped.

Frijolero likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Very nice haul. I cleaned up all 6 of mine using a glass dish lined with alum foil and adding a mixture of boiling water and baking soda. This easily removes any Silver tarnish and then you can lightly scrub with a soft tooth brush and then use a polishing cloth etc. It really
    works! Here is a before and after of my Double Ring.
    IMG_1338-COLLAGE.jpg

Jack19 and Frijolero like this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Gee, they look to be in great condition. Those cases look amazing!