Single rings

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jrdelgado, May 19, 2018.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I shimmed my Big Fellow, but today I shaved with my Old Type and a Gillette Blue Blade-no shim. Good result. The blades in 1908 were definitely thicker than today's blades.
    Try a shim. I can't hurt.

mvd likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Article Team
    Monday, May 28
    [​IMG]Day two with the SR. I am fond of the head of this razor. It's not as bulky as my Fatboy,
    which really allows the user to be accurate on the sideburns, especially.

Not loving the Gillette Blue Blade. This is the 4th or 5th shave and it tugged today.
    I have so many blades, it makes zero sense to endure anything less than a smooth and sharp blade.

Jim99, Str8on2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  3. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

70210A84-5EB0-4133-91B0-7D854B1E1FA6.jpeg My Memorial Day shave
    I agree totally on the size of the head. My fatboy does great in its own respect but this one seems easier to maneuver. I use Astra SP I like them but I have a large quantity as well and don’t use them over 3 times usually.

Jim99, Str8on2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  4. Jrdelgado

That is a great looking brush as well.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    :thanks:

6. Jrdelgado

12802C25-7DFD-4368-9796-4A81177C044B.jpeg BBA665E9-05FB-4156-A55C-84AF8340C382.jpeg F4F493DF-3B52-410E-A0B5-FF900FA4F86A.jpeg Found a big fellow in the wild! Here are some pics! Was on vacation hit an antique store. There it was. I’ll post after pics. I just need the razor holder.

Jim99, brit, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you want to shim somethinginstall a window... Sheesh.

Frijolero, Primotenore and brit like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    You're pretty humorous Fuzzy, but here's a serious response. There is no denying that when a 1908 Old Type was produced, the razor blades were unquestionably thicker than today's modern blade. It is not unreasonable, therefore, to assume that using a shim would more closely approximate the blade gap that was intended one hundred and ten years ago. Now, that doesn't necessarily equate to a BETTER shave, but is most certainly equates to an historically more accurate shave.

Frijolero and Str8on2 like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I don't buy it. All you do is change the angle of the blade. Not sure that the angle is that different anyway. Thicker blade still come down to a sharp edge. I have never seen a side byside with old blade verses new to show a big difference.

Primotenore likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Maybe someday we'll get an expert to either confirm or debunk our theories.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am all for it!!!

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had an old three hole blade once. It was at least as thick as three modern blades stacked on top of each other. The three blades were still more flexible than the old three hole blade.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I wish someone would measure the oldest blades. I know the 1920s 3-hole and later 30s Blue Blade both measure .006. If nobody does it by August I'll invest in a micrometer myself..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Jim99 and Frijolero like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Do you think stacking blades replicates the shaves of the old blades? (Not being snarky. Your pretty spot on with things you say around here.)

Frijolero likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    A shimmed razor definitely increases the distance between the top cap and the base plate.
    After that, I don't truly know, having never owned a razor blade from 1908. But I have to agree with Fuzzy :angry032: that it is the edge that shaves, not the blade gap.

Frijolero likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know. I haven't had any NOS three hole blades. It was in an eBay razor purchase. From what I remember, the edge was closer to a wedge straight razor's edge than a modern DE blade.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There there now. It's ok! :yodaAgree with Fuzzy sometimes you may.....

Makes sense.

PLANofMAN and Primotenore like this.