SingleRingPatina?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Laird, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Recently (today) acquired a nice single ring. Straight comb, straight teeth, no handle cracks and a killer dark almost black patina. Looks awesome. How do I sterilize, or otherwise clean this for use without damaging the patina? On any other vintage Gillette (nickel or gold) I've just used Dawn and Scrubbing Bubbles and a bit of alcohol etc. but what do I do with this razor? I don't want to change the look, but always feel more comfortable shaving with a razor after a reasonably good hygenic go-over. What say you vintage aficionados?

RyX likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Dawn is sufficient I would think. Obviously the razor is unused for ages, I don't believe you need to worry much about surviving cooties. If that isn't sufficient for you I would think a quick treatment of Comet bathroom cleanser or Scrubbing Bubbles would not ruin the patina but patina preservation is not something I've aimed for.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    RyX and brit like this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

If you have a Sonic Jewelry, Metal Cleaner, it's the best way to go. Fill it with hot distilled water, not boiling, add a few drops of Dawn and turn it on for about 8/10 minutes. It will be all shiny and clean, and it will not effect the patina. It will also be disinfected.

brit, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I use Dawn, sometimes scrubbing bubbles, without bleach, for stubborn razors. Seems like that's a silver plated single ring and I would polish it up afterwards as they look good. I'd be wary of strong cleaners as it could remove the silver plating.

brit likes this.
  5. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. What I'm really trying to do is disinfect the razor (which has been used recently by a previous owner) without polishing or removing the black tarnish to the silver plating. I suppose a simple wash with warm tap water and Dawn will be sufficient. I haven't been more extensive in cleaning my other vintage pieces and there's probably more risk in using the elevator buttons at the local hospital. Ya, I'm overthinking this. Off to the sink I go. Will post photos shortly.

brit, AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  6. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

I believe that Barbicide will also disinfect without removing the tarnish.

brit likes this.