Skin Flakes in Fatboy!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gigabitz, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

Hmmm.... Post title should pretty much sum this up.

Ok, so I bought this razor on eBay. It's a Fatboy in good condition. The pic wasn't too detailed, but it looked good enough to take a chance on it.

[​IMG]

I get the thing in the mail today, and, first off, it smells like stale cigarettes and mild BO. Not exactly what I want to put on my face, but I figure no problem, I'm gonna clean it real good and polish it before I do anything.

However, after soaking it in water, there was an unusually large amount of solid bits in the sink. You expect some when you clean off the old razors, but not this much for one razor. I start to shake it underwater, and skin flakes begin to show up in the water!!!

I have soaked it four times now, gone back and shaken it, and every time, skin flakes!!!

What the hell??? Is there some way to disassemble a Fatboy without destroying it so I can get all this crap out??? It's friggin' gross!!!!!!!!

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

A couple of trips through an ultrasonic cleaner does well if you have one or know someone who does.
    If you look at the bottom of the handle and you see 2 holes you might be able to use a spanner wrench to take it apart. Others as I understand don't come apart very well. Some people have had sucess but I never have...thus... I use an ultrasonic cleaner.
    Best of luck!

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

There is a lot of space for soap and gunk to build up in these. A boil will get it all loose, but you might lose the paint from the numbers.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

It should be expected from somebodies 50yr old daily shaver. I've seen them with blades still in them covered in soap, skin, gunk, mold, and a little bit of blood.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I agree. I don't know how many I had to wash the hair out of. I don't know about you guys, but I rinse my razors after use...

6. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

That's nasty. I'd toss it, that's like using someone else's old toothbrush

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

If you toss all of your razors that look used, please toss them my way. Seeing a razor go from gross to beautiful is a joy for me.

8. hoglahoo

Will do! I know some people don't mind so I'm going to put one in the passing grab box as well

9. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

Ya, I spend a bit of time on each razor cleaning them up. I soak 'em, scrub 'em, Flitz 'em, then buff 'em witha Dremel. They go from looking like gunky trash to bright, polished tools.

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Soak in Barbacide, rinse in alcohol, clean with Scurbbing Bubbles bleach and repeat until you stop twitching.

There are ways to disassemble but to quote, "No disassemble Johnny 5."

Leave it alone and clean the hell out of it. Some canned air may work as well.

11. hoglahoo

If it went through a half hour boiling after disassembly I'd feel better about it :)

12. Exeter

Exeter New Member

maybe it's just me...but I've never encountered a piece of metal that absorbed smells...