Slim adjustable review - a great razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lightcs1776, Jan 14, 2017.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have seen a few people wanting to get into wet shaving with a DE. There are always great recommendations. I have often recommended my first razor, a Merkur 34C. However, I have been really wanting to use an adjustable razor, as I have heard so much about them.

Today I arrived home from dropping one of the kids off at college, a few states away, finding a gift from a member on another forum. I was quite surprised, and grateful, as I hadn't asked for it. I have mentioned that I planned to obtain one sometime during 2017, with the intent to purchase one

For those who are considering DE shaving, and want something cost effective (typically no more than I paid for the Merkur 34C) while still being a great shaver, a slim adjustable is as close to perfect as one can get. It is smooth, effective, and efficient.

On setting 1-3, it is nearly impossible to cut yourself (nearly, but I am certain not impossible). I started on 3, after 3 days of not shaving. It was quite efficient.

The second pass was on setting 5. It cleaned up what was left with a near BBS shave. I could have stopped there.

The third pass was on setting 7. It left a great BBS. It was, without question, the best shave I have ever had.

Finally, because it exists, I had to try setting 9. My mistake. I did not have a single nic until setting 9. I didn't have anymore to shave, but just wanted to try it. Two serious nics later, I am convinced that I won't need setting 9.

So, if you are looking for a great shaver that can go from very mild to fairly aggressive, the slim adjustable is a great choice. It is affordable, solid, and easy to customize by choosing the setting that matches your beard and sensitivity of your skin.

Sent via mobile - Chris

ninjack, AGHisBBS, LOOT and 10 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Oh man I am so happy for you. Congrats!

George X and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

OK, I am told this is actually a Fatboy. I would be thrilled with either. However, I have a soft spot when it comes to someone's gift, so this will be treasured for that more than what type of adjustable it is.

[​IMG]

Sent via mobile - Chris

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep fat boy!

HERM

RyX, Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Nice writeup. Enjoy your razor.

Jim99 and lightcs1776 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice write up and a very nice fatboy!

lightcs1776 likes this.
  7. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I have about 75 razors. Some may shave as well as a Fat Boy or a Slim, but I don't think any or my razors shave better.

I recommend you find the setting that is best for you an leave it at that setting. After you get acquainted with the razor, resist the temptation to be constantly fiddling with the adjustment dial. Instead focus on experimenting on technique, blades, and soaps.

I have a fairly tough beard. I find a setting of 5 on a Fat Boy is perfect, and a setting of 6 on the slightly milder Slim and Black Beauty is also spot on.

Herm2502, lightcs1776 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Fay Boys are indeed fine tools. I stepped mine up over a period of months. Still need to be mindful of riding the cap, but using most any blade at setting nine I get close, comfortable shave. Take your time, step up a number until you have issues. Then drop down one notch. Keep it there for weeks or a month, then try up one more. You'll develop the muscle memory, and learn not to do the bad things that hurt.
    Looking under the base plate, see a capital letter on the left side, a number on the right? That's the manufacturer date code.
    Mine's an E4 - 1959 fourth quarter (Oct - Dec).
    Fatboy E4  1959 Oct - Dec.png

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to the Adjustable side. Love my '71 Super Adjustable 109. Paired up with Voskhods she's a whisker killer. Enjoy finding the right razor/blade combination. I see a 30 day Focus in your future!
    :shaver
    We don't have cookies however. Hard likker is more our speed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    RyX, DaltonGang and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I went adjustable, and never went back! That's an awesome PIF. Lucky you!

I run my opposite of you. High number on the 1st pass, lower each subsequent pass. Try that.

On 9, a FB will move down a week's growth in 1 pass. The 2nd pass on 6, final pass on 3. If I put a 9 on light growth, it will gobble flesh.

Enjoy friend, and welcome to the world of adjustable Gillettes.

ninjack, RyX, RetLEO-07 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, fatboy. very cool. Enjoy.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I prefer the Fatboy over Slim and Super Adjustable, why because the Fatboy is heavier than the Slim and Super Adjustable

lightcs1776 and Herm2502 like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have tried a Slim, but it's been a year ago. Next time I spot one in the wild if the price is right I'll pick it up for another try. The longer handle type fits my hands well.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yup that's the portly model. Nice heft, balance and just a plain classic.

lightcs1776 and RyX like this.
  15. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I love my Slim Adjustable. Never had a chance to try a Fatboy. But sent two Slims to Delta Echo for refurbish. Can't wait to have them back!

I like the handle size of the Slim. If I had to complain about something, I would say it's a little top-heavy. But I really like it with a Voskhod blade. Normally, a Voskhod is too dull for me, but in the Slim on 6, it works really well.

MObigfoot and Jim99 like this.
  16. MSauce

MSauce New Member

I wish I had the cash for a delta echo, riding out my $22 Ebay special right now and even that is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim99 likes this.