Smoke and mirrors

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by donald, Mar 27, 2021.

1. donald

donald Member

Many claim that a de razor can give a closer shave than any multiblade, but what if some who used the flexball power razor with proshield cart from gillette or the pace 7 blade power razor from dorco somehow said that these two razors somehow gave them a closer shave than any de razor they used? It would be like saying the ussr/cccp beat the usa thus winning the cold war! Could they be right in saying this or would this be some perverted distortion of reality?? Assuming this was true, but how could this be smokes and mirrors then?? What do you guys think???

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No smoke and mirrors in my opinion. Everybody’s face is different. No one type of shaving is inherently better per say.

I personally would much rather one sharp object going over my face 3 times. Than say 7 blades twice. Much less trauma to my skin. My opinion mind you.

In the end it is what ever floats your boat. Just try to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ksblazer and richgem like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Amen.
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

We have missed seeing that in print, Steve. Although I have used it a few times in your absence without paying you any royalties. Just try to collect! :p

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It comes down to the blade geometry of the razor head / cart. Doesn't matter how many blades, if they can't cut close enough will never cut closer than a razor that can. In the case of multiblade carts they are partially designed to not cut as close as some DE razors to cut back on irritation. Carts are also designed to pull and cut unlike DE razors that require more hand skill to use correctly. With practice you can control your shave much better and in turn fine tuned than you ever could with a cart. One thing I can say with a great deal of certainty issue of ingrown hairs with multiblade carts has everything to do with the blade angle as it goes across the face and not just because it is multiple blades. I use Schick injector twin blades which are like double blade cart razors but with a entirely different blade angle and have never had any issues with ingrown hairs or razor bumps doing 5 pass shaves on a daily basis, something that I can not say ever held true for me with cartridges I've used. They also work great and like garbage depending the particular injector due to the blade geometry of the particular injector.

With that said if it works for you great.

twhite likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It is very cool to see you posting again Steve!

swarden43 and richgem like this.
  7. ischiapp

ischiapp Well-Known Member

I love all my razors.
    Even my fav hitech Gillette Fusion Power FlexBall.
    With some maintenance, its first cartrige gives me perfect shaves after almost 300 rounds.
    But It's a different feeling.

Better than DE / SE or SR / Shavette? No.
    Easier and faster? Yes.
    Different tools, in different scenarios.

The sunday shave I love to use a good straight razor.
    Refining the edge early in the morning is a kind of zen habit for me.
    And all the ryth is long and relazing.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll grab my trusted Fusion and a brushless gel.
    In a couple of minutes (3-4) I'm well shaved and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Same result, different paths.
    :p

Shaver X and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That might well be true for that particular individual. For shaving, technique is the most important factor. Someone who has better technique with a cartridge than a safety razor and double-edge blades can be expected to get better shaves from the cartridge razor. The same thing goes for straight razors.

I get great shaves using a safety razor, and also did using a cartridges and an electric shaver. For me, the issue was the cost of cartridges, which ranges from rather expensive to super overpriced. Top quality double-edge blades are dirt cheap by comparison.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Paperboy

Article Team
    I've never heard that before, and I've been a member on shaving forums long enough that people who were born when I started posting are learning to shave now.

A DE razor can give a person a better shave than a multi-bladed cart, that's for sure; but a closer shave? No. I stopped using most cartridge razors because they shaved TOO close, and left me with ingrown hairs because they shaved so close.

Too many people confuse a close shave with a good shave. A person should always strive for a good shave, and if it's a close shave, well... that's just a lucky bonus.

Edit: I do still use two bladed cartridge razors on occasion, and enjoy them. Adding more blades than two is just asking for trouble, and I learned to shave with a Mach 3 as a teenager.

10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

PLANofMAN nailed it -
    Terms like good, better and best really do not mean anthing by themselves. There have to be some sort of metric to determine what they mean. Can you get a closer shave with a single blade that you can with a vibrating multi-blade. Probably not, but the chance that you will irritate and harm your skin is much higher.

So, when I say a single blade razor gives my the best shave, I might consider a raft of other items in my determination of 'best.' Is the shave close enough?
    Was it cut/scratch/nick/irritation free? Did I have full control over the blade to use it the way I wanted, or did it's design force me to shave in a particular fashion? If my face was feeling tender, was I able to give myself a very gently and mild shave or did I have to not shave at all in order to give my chin a chance to heal? Was the shave just to make myself presentable, or did I enjoy some kind of indefinable mojo because the tool I used was more than 100 years old, providing me with a connection to generations past?

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They should be banned from polite society, shunned and jeered at like the subhuman reprobates and perverts they are.

(j/k, I dig Dorco Trac II clones and the extinct Wilkinson Bonded, a cart with just one blade, is perhaps the overall best shaver I've ever used)

12. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

There are variations in skin, there are variations in facial hair, there are variations in technique. Your skin is affected by your genes, by what you do or don't put on it, by what you eat, by the weather, by your shave prep, by all kinds of things. There are people who have thinner facial hair, thicker facial hair. Add in how you shave, how much pressure, what kind of strokes, what you put on your face, how long it was on your face. There should be nothing surprising in people having different experiences with any particular blade. Try different things and stick with what you like, someone else's best blade may be terrible for you and just because other people don't like something does not mean it won't work well for you or that there is something wrong with it.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

If you are only going to do a single pass the multi-blade cartridge razors will give a closer save than any single edge razor, even a straight razor. However, if you do a multiple pass shave with a SE it will give a closer, and definitely longer lasting shave than a single pass multi-blade cartridge razor. Try doing a multi-pass shave with say a Fusion five blade razor and you won't have any face left!

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I agree if you're talking single pass with a cart vs a single pass with a DE or SE.

I can get a closer and more comfortable shave with 3 passes of my DE or SE than I could with a single pass of those multi bladed pieces of...

Any way, think about it. Three passes with a 3-blade cart is the equivalent of 9 passes with a DE! How many here even make 4 passes with a DE or SE?

Tedolph likes this.