So I decided to jump headon into the deep end...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have been shaving with a DE Safety Razor for a short time now and have always been intrigued with Straight Razors. After a bit of research and some advice from some people, I went ahead and picked up 2 vintage Straight Razors last night. These both will be coming "shave ready" and I should be able to at have my 1st cheek test shave next week.
    I am looking at strops and wanted to see what you all thought about my narrowed down choices...

1st up: The Tensio
    [​IMG]
    2nd up: Herold Russian Leather
    [​IMG]

I think I will forgo Hanging and Paddle strops, for the time being. But find myself coming back to the Loom type strops. Anyone have any input? Pluses and or Minuses?

As always, Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I like number two.

Sent from my phone using some app

Kokak, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the loom strop but on an aesthetical principle, imo, I would go with the Russian leather.

Kokak, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great choice in going str8 :D I can't help you with the strops, I'm a fan of hanging strops , because I can get a longer stroke, which means less passes ( at least in my feeble mind)

Kokak, mrchick, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  5. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I do understand the allure of loom strops. Most of them are short though, which is why I do not have one. If you can find a nice long one, grab it.

Spyder, Kokak and mrchick like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have limited experience in using the loom-style strops. I can see the advantages of why some shavers like them. For me personally, I'll take a hanging strop all day long. I like the 'flexibility' in tension I can easily control with a hanging strop. The tension on the looms can also be adjusted but just not as easy 'on-the-fly' adjustments one can make with the hand-held hanging strop. I also like having more 'real estate' as many of the loom strops are rather small in comparison. Newcomers to SRS are often told to try a paddle strop in order to focus and develop a proper lapping stroke (less moving parts with a paddle strop).
    I wouldnt dissuade one from buying a loom strop as they can do the job. I just prefer the variety hanging strops provide.

7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Well after some more looking around I did decide to go with a hanging strop. I just ordered the Tony Miller 3" Plain Chocolate strop.

Thanks for all the advise.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Excellent choice. Just be very careful not to cut it :eek:

DaltonGang likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Most important advise: go slow, when first learning strop.

RezDog, Bookworm and Spyder like this.