So I decided to make a brush.

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Shotwell, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I was having a cocktail with my adult son, and we were enjoying a Nolet’s Gin and Tonic (highly recommended— paired the gin with Fevertree tonic and it is the best G&T I’ve ever had). As we finished, I said “wow, that cap for the bottle is really heavy — that would make a fantastic base for a shaving brush.”

So, a couple of weeks later, I ordered a synthetic knot (27mm) from Maggard. When it arrived this past Saturday I immediately found some coin-shaped wooden tokens I’d been using for another small project, added 5 of them to the cap and dry-fit the knot. It fit perfectly, no adjustment needed! So I located some epoxy, glued the wooden tokens in, and then followed with the knot. I am super pleased with how it turned out! My son said I should sell them, but that would require lots of gin purchases and I just don’t know what I would do with all that gin. ;)

Anyway, thought I’d post a few pictures of it. I’ve made brushes before with varying degrees of success… I’m not a woodworker at all (no tools, no talent) and I’m not especially artistic, handy, or crafty. But I’m really, really pleased with how this hefty little guy turned out!

https://imgur.com/a/yS1wGyN
    [​IMG]

Enrico, brit, SharptoothC and 12 others like this.
  2. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Just a Red X for me so thought I'd post 3 of them for you
    sNTBuVo.jpeg
    YbXjSAU.jpeg
    Dr5zpC5.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

How could anybody knot (see what I did there?) like that?

Superb!

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Incredibly clever and resourceful! I really like the look of it and obviously you have a one-of-a-kind brush. I know nothing about brushes but I know I like this one. :signs107:

5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Once again drinking gin leads someone to do something naughty.

6. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

On days when you use this brush maybe you should use the gin as aftershave.:p

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Pity the gold handled shave brush handle is so expensive.

brit likes this.
  8. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

That is actually a damn fine idea! I made my own Bay Rum a/s this past summer and liked the results… no reason I couldn’t do the same with a nice botanical gin. :)

Enrico, brit, Tedolph and 1 other person like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Beautiful!

:eatdrink047:

Shotwell likes this.
  11. Avalon

Avalon Active Member

This is brilliant!

Shotwell likes this.