So... I got laid off today...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Baron, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Baron

Baron New Member

Yeah, I got laid off today... tons of fun.

I had only been there for a year, so I only got 1 month severance, now I need to get back out there and find another job.

At least it wasn't performance related. I worked in the Direct Mail Marketing division and our biggest client decided to go with someone else because the other place was cheaper. So... about 25 people got laid off. Of course I was doing more than just my specific job duties, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Anyway... not sure what else to say here... just sort of rambling. Going out to dinner tonight with the in-laws, mother in law works for the town, maybe I can get a job there (we're also long time friends of the mayor).

Well... back to putting away the stuff that used to be in my office.

2. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. :: Deep breaths. Start hitting Monster, Career Builder, Hotjobs, etc. Make "finding a job" your job.

--Mark

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Aww, bummer!

Hope you get a job you like soon!

I lost my job due to bankrupcy some 5 years ago and know how frustrating it can be! You seem to have some good connections so I wouldn't be suprised if it's sorted soon!

Take care! AND enjoy the dinner!

/Johan

4. Baron

Baron New Member

There's a tshirt?!

Sweet! where can I get it? :)

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Bad day Michael! Sometimes change can be good. Hope things go well for you!

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Sorry to hear this. Hope you find something quick since this is not the best time right now to be looking. Like someone said, make finding a job your job. It's too easy to take this as an opportunity to take a vacation and the vacation ends up being six months. The other 25 people that got laid off will be looking for similar jobs right now and there probably aren't many open jobs out there so hop to it. Enjoy the dinner though!

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Sorry to hear about the news! You'll bounce back I am sure.

8. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

I'm so sorry to here that. You will be in my prayers. My family has been in that same situation many times and I know how hard life can get. I hope you find something supper fast! Best Wishes to you!
    Susie

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'm soory to hear that, Michael! Keep your head up, with those connections something new will present itself soon!

10. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Michael, hang in there, man. I'll be praying that you find something that's even better and pays more, too!

11. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Very sorry to hear that

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sorry to hear that as well Michael, I have been looking for a new job since a couple weeks before Christmas :rolleyes:

Best of luck in your career search :)

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

A world of opportunity awaits you, Michael!

Good luck finding something else.....maybe now's the time to start your own biz ;)

The world is your oyster ::

ps - if it were me, I would take a vacation :D

14. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

all the best Michael, I believe in destiny and all good things .

Sometimes the LORD makes changes for us for the better things we dont see or know but later makes you think that was for the best .

Hope you update us soon on your knew job position you can DO IT !

15. Baron

Baron New Member

Thanks so much for all your support :)

It was a busy day today working on my resume... I'll be hitting the job hunt on Monday morning.

How does everyone know what my connections are? Did I miss something?

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, you did tell us about knowing the mayor :D

17. Baron

Baron New Member

haha... oh yeah :)

Public service doesn't pay much unfortunately... but I'm looking into it :)

Not too hard to pay more than I'm making now.

18. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, in that case, you're being fired might turn out to have a positive effect when you find a better-paying job.
    All the best for your job-hunt! (Can't say that too often)

19. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Those jobs don't pay well on paper, but it's the "extra" income that isn't disclosed that makes it worth the job. ;)

20. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Do we want to know? :rolleyes: