So I'm Really Going To Do It...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Raven312, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Ever since my coworker gave me an old straight that belonged to her uncle I've been toying with the idea of trying it out. Like I always do, I did my homework, figured out what I need (definitely don't need any more brushes!! LOL) and set about looking for my "dream" razor. After a few days of looking at several beautiful razors that I didn't want to pay a car note for, I brought things down to Earth and started looking in the forums and recommended sites. In between though, I did buy a beat up Wade & Butcher off of Ebay for less than $10 including shipping.
    Wade Butcher.JPG

This one will be my project razor, where I learn to polish it up and make scales.
    On SRP, I kept coming back to this no name razor, which didn't fit into my original plan. Something about it kept calling me so I bought it. I'm done. This will be one of the two (the original has been sent to Gemstar for honing) that I learn on and rotate when one needs to be honed. I also got a Poor Man's Strop Kit on the way. I'm still keeping my two favorite DE's but once I become accustomed to straights I'm going to pare my DE's down to my favorite two (which will probably be my Futur and my birth year Fat boy). Here are pics of my new one:
    Australian_1_.JPG Australian_3_.JPG Australian_5_.JPG

Wish me luck!

CJames and feeltheburn like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Nice! I think I'm going to try it this weekend too. I'll wish you luck if you'll do the same for me. :)

3. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I've got (3) that I need to hurry up and polish and send off to Glen. I've been really wanting to try too. I will be gone 2/3 of July, so I would like to at least send them out to be honed before I leave so I can have them ready and waiting when I return!

4. Raven312

Absolutely! We can do this! :cool:

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Glen had mine back really fast - just over a week from when I sent them out 'til I had them back.

Raven312 likes this.
  6. Raven312

Glen has been GREAT to work with! I've been bugging him endlessly in my search. I'm going to have him make a set of scales for me, for the W & B, to match my custom brush. I'm going to make a set too, for practice since I have the materials, but it will take me too long and I want those scales to be something special.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  7. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Yeah...I'm not sure what exactly I'm gonna do with mine yet. (2) of them are very early, one has some noticeable pitting and fairly rough scales, but is polishing up nicely. The other old one is in really great condition, just needs a shine. The 3rd is the one I am really interested in. It's a "special" model and scales seem to be in pretty good shape with hardly any pitting on blade. I'll try and get some pics out before I send them along to Glen.

8. Raven312

YES! Gotta see 'em!