So I've been using these for decoration

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Eva_d, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I've had these things just sitting on a shelf at work for several years completely forgotten. I have no idea why the C . V. HELJESTRAND is not in the proper case. Pretty neat stuff though

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Daytonkb, PatrickA51, 45auto and 5 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! I have the Gem MicroMatic Open Comb (aka Gem MMOC) you show there. Takes a single edge blade I buy at ShopRite (Gem brand blade) - DO NOT USE HARDWARE STORE BLADES, they are not intended for shaving. Using a super light touch, one of the better razors I have.

Eva_d and macaronus like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I love the looks of the lather catcher! The Gem OCMM is one of my favourites as well as the Rolls Razor! All seem to be in good working order (as far as the pics show), but they may use some scrubbing bubbles. :)

A great resource on the Rolls Razor: => *click* <=
    Some mouth-watering Rolls pics: => *click* <=

An excellent resource on Single Edge (SE) shaving: => *click* <=

Eva_d likes this.
  4. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

5. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I have never cconsidered trying to use these.... Maybe I will. I noticed that single edge blade razors don't seem to be as popular

6. swarden43

You obviously haven't clicked on Mike's link below ;)

macaronus and Eva_d like this.
  7. swarden43

Or this one ---> *click* :bounce015:

macaronus likes this.
  8. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I only got to skim really fast... Saw enough on the one page to know not to attempt am under the nose shave which I translate to "do not shave anything that I may deem important" lol

RaZorBurn123 and swarden43 like this.
  9. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I think I better stick to learning one thing at a time until it's masterd
    ;p

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  10. swarden43

A wise women we have here, folks! :happy088:
    You would make Gary @GDCarrington proud by following his 30-day rule!

macaronus, Eva_d and GDCarrington like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

True! That is so true.

I see from another thread that you are using a phone. Here are the links my signature line if you cannot see them on the phone.

30 DAY RULE and 30 DAY FOCUS
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/30-day-rule-meet-the-30-day-focus-greater-flexibility.42673/

SHAVING BRUSH REFERENCE
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gd-carringtons-shaving-brush-reference.42885/

RAZORS AND BLADES
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gd-carringtons-safety-razor-and-blade-reference.42301/

macaronus likes this.
  12. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I'm a perfect match for the 30 day rule. I'm definitely going to have to stick with the same thing for a while to know if I like it will enough to compare it to something else that I like as well. On the other hand, if I don't like it I can move on right away to the next blade. I am absolutely overwhelmed by the choices. I simply had no idea. I am excited though and can't wait for the delivery to come so I can get started!

Omelmad, macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I couldn't stand it any longer... My DE has not arrived in the mail as of yet so I tried out the little Gem. Not too shabby, I think for a first timer. I don't think I'll use it again though. The handle is a bit short even for me. I enjoyed it though and only lost two small pieces of flesh , lol. I continue to await the post :)

Misphit, Slow Joe and GDCarrington like this.
  14. swarden43

:happy088::happy088: As is said, practice makes perfect. Very cool to see how you've jumped right into all of this!
    Those Gems do require a light touch, but once mastered they give an outstanding shave.

If you don't have one already, I would recommend a styptic pencil for those little nicks and weepers.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I do not have a styptic pencil.... It is now on my list. On the up side... The blade was sharp and I didn't feel it, lol. I was surprised at how different the razor felt in my hand as compared to the cartridge razors. I like the heft of it.

swarden43 likes this.
  16. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

You've gotta love that 7 day set.

Eva_d likes this.
  17. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I do love it. Wish I had seen the face that used it. It was given to me with no history

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

You found these at work. You must have a great job if they have gear like this lying around.

19. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I do have a great job! I'm a hair dresser. I was using these as decor, lol. Didn't realize what I had

GDCarrington and Slow Joe like this.
  20. swarden43

So now the question, how did you come about owning them?

GDCarrington likes this.