So now just waiting...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kokak, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Last week I started looking into Straight razors and then saw 2 razors up for sale (on this forum) and I was compelled to get them. I have never shaved with a straight razor before but am excited to learn.
    Thanks to lots of advice I have also ordered my strop and just received notice of it's being shipped and expected arrival, this Friday!
    I also received notification that my 2 razors have been prepared and are now shipped as well. If all things work out, I will have my 1st straight razor test shave this weekend. I have included pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the advice and help. I expect to be reaching out to the forums, once I begin this journey as well.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They are both lookers. Congrats.
    My only word of advise is to buy a Stypic Pen, just in case of a Nick or cut. They are cheap, and you can get them at Walmart.

Kokak and Spyder like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Clubman has styptic pens.

Kokak, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Already have 2 "Jumbo" size...

EnglishChannel, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If you have two, that's good; you'll need them both :happy097:

Bookworm and Kokak like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I picked up one of Kevin's razors too. It is coming on the 13th I think. I can hardly wait. I will put it to the test Saturday. Saturday is my straights day. Looks like you got a couple of nice ones. Kevin restored my H. Böker, too. It is a very nice razor.
    It took me a long time to warm up to straights, but now I enjoy my Saturday shaves. I cannot give up my SE, DE, and injectors though. I just like them all.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Jim99, mrchick, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Jim99, Spyder and Kokak like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Jim99, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Yep. I have another misphit on the way;)

10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

You started with a couple of winners! I'm going to say something unconventional here. While you're learning technique, don't be afraid to go with your gut. When my straight shaves became sublime was when I realized my hand wanted to shave my face at a certain angle intuitively. It just felt "right". Don't focus too much on what the razor looks like against your face in a mirror. Just go with it. Your technique will develop faster if you listen to what your face and hand are telling you.

Jim99, Karl G, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Just received the razors.... WOW

Definitely ready to shave!

Jim99, mrchick and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I got mine today, too. Kevin does great work.

Jim99 and mrchick like this.
  13. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

Trust me on this, I just received my 2 razors from the same individual and they are both nicer than I could have hoped for. I can also say they are probable 2 of the sharpest instruments I have ever handle in my life short of Feather DE blades. This man is a honing machine. I couldn't be happier with my purchases.

Jim99, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I agree with you 150%!

Jim99 likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

So, which one of you is going to shave with your newly acquired toys, and post about it ?????

mrchick and RichMack like this.
  16. RichMack

I used a Brand new Dovo today with ok results. Decided to use the Dub Duck I purchased from HoliRollah and they didn't even compare. He honed that petite little beauty to perfection and it glided through everything the Dovo missed without skipping a beat. No kidding, these things are as sharp as Feather DE blades right outa the package. I'm eager to use the other one tomorrow. I liked it so much I purchased the last 3 he had listed in the classifieds. I now have a 7 day shave collection :p

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Jim99 and DaltonGang like this.
  17. RichMack

The Dub Duck is the bottom razor. Dont look like much but holy cow what a shaver. The one above will be getting worked out tomorrow. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  18. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

OK...
    So I just finished my 1st shave this evening. I was terrified, to say the least but once I started, the nerves were gone and I was just concentrating on the shave. I was very happy with how the shave went. I had 2 small weepers and a couple of irritated areas after all was said and done. But no major cuts.
    I need to work on how I hold my blade while shaving so I don't block my view. I also need to work on using my left hand. I have survived and will be able to shave another day.
    BTW... Styptic pencils hurt like heck!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  19. RichMack

Awesome! Congrats.

Jim99 likes this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Way to go! It wasn't that long ago, we all had our first shave with a straight. Stay with it: the whole process will become second nature, and you'll enjoy close, irritation free shaves. You'll also be able to put that styptic away:)

mrchick and Jim99 like this.