So So shaves from Gillette fat boy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Veg, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

I would love to hear from other shaveden dwellers, am I the only person in the world that gets so so shaves with a gillette fat boy. I purchased a fatboy that is in good condition for the princely sum of $7.95. I guess I should say it functioned well after I cleaned it. I got such a good deal on it I want to love it but it isn't my favorite by any means. I've been de shaving for about three years, I normally get damn fine shaves with most razors but with the fatboy so so. I enjoy it for the nostalgia, I admire the quality and engineering but the shave quality is always meh.

preidy, gorgo2, Hodge and 4 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

What setting(s) are you shaving at?

gorgo2, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have had excellent shaves from my Fatboy. I found myself using setting 9 after getting used to it, with Nacet blades. However, I find I also get excellent shaves from other Gillettes, including their open combs.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Herm2502, gorgo2, brit and 3 others like this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's probably not you. Never did it for me.

gorgo2, brit, BigMark83 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I don't understand how it can be that bad.

Are you using the same blades as usual? Is the blade on the skin... you're not trying setting 1 are you?

Mines fine. Is yours damaged?

gorgo2, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have used a FatBoy, Slim and Super Adjustable(both long and short handle). Like you I thought it would be my Grail razor, but turned out to be not so much. The one I enjoyed the most out of the three of them was the short handled Super Adjustable. For several years now I've been using a Stahly Live Blade head on a 3 inch handle and a German 37 Slant on a BullDog handle. Adjustable razors simply have no interest for me any longer. I keep them in my collection because they are cool, rather than because they give me a great shave. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Herm2502, preidy, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A damaged razor yields a bad shave. OP indicated so-so, meh , which simply sounds like a poor match. I know it's hard for the Cult to believe but not everyone loves em.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    gorgo2, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the cult, but I do think some razors are better suited for an individual than others.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

gorgo2, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

If they were THE BEST RAZOR EVER!!1! Gillette wouldn't have made the Slim, or the Super Adjustable, and none of the other razors that have been made since by any other company. I've enjoyed my '59 E4 for a couple of years & continue to get great shaves at setting 9 especially with Feather HiStainless blades. I also like a Red Tip, or a Merkur Futur clone, or Fatip, etc.
    Been lucky at fleamarkets and have tried several different year models of the FB, a couple Slims, and a shorty BB. The first one I found ($4.00) has always given me the best service. Can't say any of them were damaged, might be that I've more hours on the clock with that one blade holder. They are nice machines but ultimately just a blade holder.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The good news - Someone out there might want to drink the Koolaid and give you enough cheddar to go shopping for a better razor! ;)

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Here's how I look at razor xyz.
    Most of us bounce from razor to razor on a daily basis, I was the leader at one time. I've now only use one, and since I haven't had a bad shave, stick with the Fatboy for a month or two and you'll say it's the greatest razor ever.

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is it damaged or under/over clocked? Does the blade load evenly and then check it with a feeler gauge first to see if it is gapped evenly then check the actual gap itself at 1, 5 and 9. If it is off by more than the STD it maybe over or underclocked. When you get to 1 or 9 put something in where the spring is on the adjustment knob to push it in so you can go from 9 to 1 or 1 to 9 depending if it is over or under and check again. Also check the TTO knob that it is fully tightened. When tight usually you can turn it another up to 1/4 turn to lock down the doors fully.

If all this is good turn up dial to 9 and if it is still not good according to personal shave preferences then overclock it.

Check here for the gap settings.
    http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/date-codes.html

gorgo2, Edison Carter, RyX and 2 others like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Never had a bad one from mine.

14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I can't argue with this. For instance I couldn't get good shaved with a black beauty myself.

gorgo2 and Hembree like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I can't say I didn't get good shaves , just that I get better from dozens of other razors which will never need a "revamp" from Cap n' Chris or Razor Emporium, and don't have a following which insists that every wet shaver has to own one or several including of course a birth year razor and several in a drawer to never shave with but to pass on to imagined progeny in some bizzaroworld Fatboy future.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  16. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

This is wonderful. Makes me think of a new Toy Story movie called A Fatboy Future. It would be some sort of cross between Jumanji, Toy Story, and Night at the Museum. All the razors come alive after a magical incantation at night. They search in vain for ownership and use....

17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Indeed, and as they age they sit around the pool with their white shoes and gold chains and share complaints about their misaligned doors, missing end caps, and clogged and constipated internals....and how their cousins the Techs just never seem to get old.

Juno, gorgo2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Very true!

I don't know about the FBFs (Fat Boy Fan), but those GTOs (Gillette Toggle Owners) do require some sort of cultish oath of loyalty be taken upon ownership of one. :D

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Toggles are at least somewhat scarce in the Gillette world though certainly not hard to find if you want one.
    Personally I have little interest The Fatboy That We Rejected With Scarcity Premium.

gorgo2, Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't know.... I have crossed paths some rough looking Techs.

gorgo2, Hodge, Frijolero and 3 others like this.