Soak your brush? Yes, No, and why

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Queen of Blades, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Question popped into my head the other day;
    Why do people soak their shaving brushes? :confused:

I used to soak my brush when I started out and used a bowl. That was just what everyone said they did, so <shrug> ok why not?

Now I just lather on my skin, so no bowl and no soaking brush. Doesn't make a difference at all it seems.

So, what say you? Do you soak your brush or not? And why is that? Do you think/feel it does something?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I soak my boars in hot water to warm the brush,then load the brush, seems to help with warm lather for my face.

Similar to the OP I soaked my badgers based on what I thought was standard procedure on the forums:o. I will revisit that.

Happened to read the back of a tub of Vulfix Cream tonight and they advise

" Rinse your brush in hot water, then dip the brush into the cream"

Trying that tomorrow.

3. Queen of Blades

That's basically what I do.
    Put the brush under the shower spray, flick the excess water out, apply cream/soap, go to the skin to build the lather, adding water as needed.

Boar or badger, same process.

As for warming the brush to help with warm lather, it seems to just be me, so maybe it's a shaving in the shower thing, but I have never felt any temperature out of my lather. Not hot, not cold. Even when using a scuttle. <shrug>

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  4. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Great question! I am interested in reading the thoughts on this. The reason I do, is as you had mentioned, everything that I had read prior to my first shave suggested to do this. I guess my thinking on this is I want the brush, either boar or badger to warm up and to absorb as much water as possible. Now, having thought more about your question, I doubt if hair of this kind is anything like a sponge, with the longer it soaks the more hydrated it gets. So, I will try my own test as you have and just rinse the brush and lather to see if there is any noticeable difference. Thanks for the question!!

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  5. sffone

sffone Member

I do not soak my brushes, neither boar nor badger. I build my lather in a small bowl that I keep on an electric mug warmer, so I always have hot lather, which is not affected by whether my brush has been soaked in warm water or not.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

No, doesn't seem to make any difference, and it can't be good for wood handles or the glue/hair interface of any brush.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I only soak my boar brushes. They sit in hot water, along with the lather bowl, while I'm in the shower. Maybe it's all in my mind, but my boars seem to be a bit softer after soaking than they are when I don't soak 'em.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally turn the water on in the sink after a shower. Once the water is up to temp, I close the drain plug and drop my brush in the sink while it fills. During this time I grab the blow dryer to de-fog the mirror and then if using a shave stick apply the soap. I pull the brush out, give it a light squeeze and a shake then build my lather.

It soaks but only for a few seconds while the sink fills.

9. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Leaving the brush in a mug full of hot tap water while I shower is just a convenient way to get it wet. Probably doesn't use any more water than running the tap over it directly, which is what I used to do. Taking it in the shower never occurred to me, but it seems like it would be less convenient. Just one more thing to drop.

I always face lather, if that makes a difference.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I soak the brushes because that is what I learned to do when starting out and so now it is just a habit.

I imagine that during the intro phase, had there been a lot of instructions telling me to rub steel wool in counter-clockwise circles under my arms before shaving I might have tried it.

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

+1 I don't know that if it really makes a difference or not, I like to think the warmer the brush, the warmer the lather. However, I can't say I've ever had occassion to lather up and think, "Man, that lather sure is awfully warm." In fact, most old barber manuals I've read since recommend against soaking a brush because of possible damage/wear to the knot (i.e. glue/bristle interface). All of that said though, soaking the brush has become a well engrained part of my shaving routine and I'd probably be hard pressed to stop even if I wanted to.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I only soak boar brushes. It makes the bristles somewhat softer, at least to me. Boar also doesn't like to hold as much water and soaking makes it easier for me to get just the right amount of water. That said, I'm using badger more often lately.

I do feel badgers will absorb a little more water when soaked, but as they already absorb so much I don't think that's a benefit. Easier to just rinse and lather.

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I soak boar brushes. Synthetic and badger brushes just get a quick dip/rinse in hot water.

14. icedog

icedog Member

I fill the mug with hot water, then set both it and my brush in a sink of hot water for a few minutes, while I shower or perform some other personal care rituals. After dunping the mug, emptying the sink, and giving the brush a small shake, I whip up some nice warm lather. Soaking the soap puck undoubtedly uses the soap up faster, but hey, it's a process of extravagance and self indulgence anyway. I tried building the lather on my face, but it just didn't work for me ... somewhat unweildy as well, because I sport a bit of a trimmed beard. It's great that every shaver can tailor the process and choose the tools to suit his (her) own preferences.

15. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Stop disrupting my comfort zone! I just started this a few months ago, and I've been soaking my brush because, doggone it, PEOPLE ON THE INTERNETS SAID TO! Now here you go QUESTIONING things, and I never thought to not do it. RENEGADE! ;):taunt005

markjnewcomb and Redrock like this.
  16. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

As you know JoAnna, the water in AZ sucks and I need to clean my brushes as well, so every little trick there is I use and I do in fact notice a difference when I soak my brush.

I'm sure someone with a water filtration system or who lives in an area with great water is only really soaking their brushes for comfort or habit and it may or may not make any actual difference.

17. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I soak it in fear of ruining the hairs. Also because it makes them softer when using and lathers easier (for me).

18. Queen of Blades

I'm not sure how soaking your brush is a "trick". Could you elaborate for our education on how soaking helps? What difference do you notice?

Ruining the hairs how? :confused:

I prefer my soap to be softer and easier to lather. :)

19. aberneth

aberneth Member

I raise my glass to you for calling in to question an unexplained tradition. I stopped really soaking my brush a little while ago, just because I changed the order in which I prepared for my shave. So far, no difference. Certainly the brush needs to be wet, though.

20. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Well.. when I feel my brushes (I know that's weird :happy102) before I get ready to soak it, I always feel like if I start lathering with them, with how stiff they are, they may snap. For instance, when i'm shaving with a boar brush, if I let it soak for only 2 minutes or run it under water.. it has a lot of resistance and I feel like i'm ruining it. If I let it soak for 5 minutes in a cup, it's very soft and flexible and i'm worry free. Oddly enough, it lathers better for me too. I do this more with boars than badgers, but that's just me. I also figure that if something is more flexible and soft when it's wet then if we're talking about a shaving brush then it makes perfect sense to want it very nicely soaked.

I'll do it so long as my brushes look as fine as day one :cool: