Soap Confusion

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ThePossum, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

It's all about Glycerin vs Tallow soaps. I use Tabac and MWF on a regular basis. Just got some Williams as well. They are tallow based soaps as I understand them.

Looking to get a few more soaps and can't figure out what some of the ones I am looking at are based on. I am looking at a couple SCS soaps as well as soaps from Honeybee Spa and TSD. The TSD soaps list glycerin as the first ingredient and then shea butter as the second. Can I assume that the TSD soap is glycerin based? What about the Honeybee soaps?

What really is the difference between the tallow vs glycerin based soaps? Is there any difference in the lather and how easy it is made?

Sure would appreciate anyone's help.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think you're confused, like I was for a long time, by the use of the word glycerin among soaps. Soaps are all saponofied fats and oils. Tallow is one source of fats and oils. Most other soaps are made from various vegetable oils. So called "glycerin soap" that appears clear is really soap with added sugar and alcohol processed in a way that makes clear soap. Those clear soaps could have many different oils or fats, likely even tallow. The actual glycerin is just one of the products of the saponification process that is in all soaps, though some cheap body bars (think Zest, Irish Spring, etc.) have the glycerin removed and cheaper chemical surfactants added.

What I see as a big difference is milled vs. cold process vs. cold pour soaps. Milled soaps are harder soaps that have most of the water and some natural glycerin removed to make them more concentrated. Cold process soaps are saponified but left softer. cold pour soaps are really rebatched soaps that are designed to melt easily and the makers add things to the soap base to make them better for shaving. I have the best luck with milled soaps. Tabac, MWF, and Williams which you mentioned are all milled tallow based soaps. All the smaller makers are either cold process or melt and pour. I'm not sure which brands are which type. I will say that when not milled, I've had terrible luck with anything that doesn't contain clay. I know TSD and SCS have clay and don't know about HBS.

Hope that's helpful and others can fill in the gaps.

3. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

:shocked031

I just use the soaps and creams that work for me. Tallow, glycerin, cold process, milled, shea butter... it either lathers and works for your skin/hair to be shaved, with a scent you can live with ...or not.

4. Tom Ford

Tom Ford Member

+1 Yeah, what he said.

I tend to find I prefer Tallow based soaps D R Harris, Tabac, MWF (Lanolin). Also one veggie base soap CADE is a winner all round, scent, and performance wise.

IMO glycerin based soaps are quite easy to lather, however the lather isn't quite as cushioning and slick as Tallow based soaps. YMMV

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AMAN BROTHER.. errrrr SISTER.....:D I am a bigger fan of the Tallow based milled soaps I guess.. Love my Williams(not that anyone can tell that or anything) among others.

Fuzzy